Page 23 of 24

Re: Rifts - DMH - Black Hat vs White Hat - Dane

Posted: Mon Aug 31, 2026 5:04 pm
by jawildey
“Yeah, lots of secrets.” Dane is reminded of the things he has seen from his dad’s past, enough to suggest he has secrets of his own. He looks back to Hummer. “But one of those secrets is how you know so much about the Swensons. Martin’s old military record, Gary, Carla disappearing, Teddy going missing... what kind of database has personal details like that?”

Re: Rifts - DMH - Black Hat vs White Hat - Dane

Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2026 10:37 am
by Chaser1
“Yeah, lots of secrets.” Dane is reminded of the things he has seen from his dad’s past, enough to suggest he has secrets of his own. He looks back to Hummer. “But one of those secrets is how you know so much about the Swensons. Martin’s old military record, Gary, Carla disappearing, Teddy going missing... what kind of database has personal details like that?”

"During our time running from the Chrome and their Coalition overlords, I was tasked with gathering intelligence for Drake, Alec and Jenna. I was successful in gathering a roster of members of an elite squad deployed near the Free State of Lazlo," sounds very foreign to Dane as Hummer continues, "But we also managed to grab a file of missing and killed officers within the outer and southern zones of the Coalition occupied and controlled areas.

"The Swenson brothers drama was a trending topic for a few years within the Coalition ranks. It all happened over a decade ago. You yourself mentioned that Teddy disappeared... again... a few months ago. My probability calculations suggest that he has either discovered his uncle's deception and went to look for his real father... or is looking for Violet. I would calculate that the latter is more likely. This would deduce that he is who we should be following to find Violet."

"Oh..." Meg sighs.

Dane notices Marty at the gates to the parking lot of his auto dealership, eyeing Hummer. He seems to have a more concerned look on his face than normal. Suddenly, he shouts, "Dane! Could you come over here? Alone?"

Re: Rifts - DMH - Black Hat vs White Hat - Dane

Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2026 3:56 pm
by jawildey
Dane gives Marty a quick wave. “Be right there.”

He looks back toward Meg and Hummer. “I wonder what that’s about. I’ll be right back. Wait here.”

Dane walks over to Marty, trying not to look too eager to find out what has him concerned. “What’s up, Mr. Swenson?”

A thought occurs to him as he studies Marty’s expression. Maybe Marty knows more about Hummer than he’s letting on. He’s seemed uneasy since Hummer admitted to fighting against the Coalition States. Dane suspects this may be about how dangerous Hummer is, or whether his past associations make him too dangerous to trust.

Re: Rifts - DMH - Black Hat vs White Hat - Dane

Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2026 7:53 pm
by Chaser1
Dane gives Marty a quick wave. “Be right there,” then looks back toward Meg and Hummer. “I wonder what that’s about. I’ll be right back. Wait here.”

Dane walks over to Marty, trying not to look too eager to find out what has him concerned. “What’s up, Mr. Swenson?” A thought occurs to him as he studies Marty’s expression. Maybe Marty knows more about Hummer than he’s letting on. He’s seemed uneasy since Hummer admitted to fighting against the Coalition States. Dane suspects this may be about how dangerous Hummer is, or whether his past associations make him too dangerous to trust.

Marty exhales sharply. “Listen… what he’s been telling you…” He hesitates, jaw clenching. “It’s true.” The admission seems to wound him. He steps closer, voice dropping to a trembling whisper. “I was a soldier. We failed a mission. They sent me to the worst post they had. We were attacked and… I…” His eyes glaze over, distant and hollow into the same thousand‑yard stare Dane has seen in his father. “I ran. I was the only one who lived.”

From across the lot, Meg watches, her posture stiffening as she tries to eavesdrop.

“I loved Carla. Gary beat her. Beat Teddy. Ted was already getting angry, already breaking inside. I had to get them out.” Marty’s whisper sharpens, almost a hiss. “I found Smith Falls. Hid there. But I went back for Carla. Brought her here. She loved it. We loved each other. We went back for Teddy and… you know the rest. Even when... she died.” The sadness still in his eyes.

Suddenly Marty grips Dane’s shoulders, fingers digging in. The movement is sharp enough that Hummer instantly reverses, angling toward them like a guard dog sensing danger. Marty doesn’t even glance at him. “Dane, you cannot tell anyone. Not them..." he jerks his chin toward Hummer and Meg “Not anyone. Promise me. Please.” For the first time since Dane met him, Marty’s eyes aren’t stern or commanding; they’re terrified. Raw. Human. It’s unsettling, almost chilling, how violently the fear shakes him. Marty Swenson doesn’t break under pressure. Yet here he is, unraveling. And beneath it all, one more question claws at Dane’s mind: How did Marty hear them from so far away?

Re: Rifts - DMH - Black Hat vs White Hat - Dane

Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2026 5:36 pm
by jawildey
Dane involuntarily flinches at the pressure of Marty’s fingers, but he manages to keep his voice level. He looks down for a second, then back up. "Since you overheard our conversation, you already know Hummer and Meg know most of what you just told me. After what you did to Meg back when she and Teddy were dating, I don’t owe you any loyalty." He pauses, choosing his words carefully. "Yes, I know about that. I can probably promise not to tell Hummer, but Meg means a lot to me, and I don’t want to break her trust by keeping secrets from her."

He lets that sink in for a moment before asking, "Before I agree to anything, tell me one thing. How did you hear Hummer from this far away? Do you have surveillance equipment set up around here, or is there something else I should know?" Dane studies him, thinking about Hummer’s warning that Marty isn’t quite normal. Is he a d-bee with enhanced hearing? Something else entirely? The answer to that question might tell Dane whether he can trust him at all.

Re: Rifts - DMH - Black Hat vs White Hat - Dane

Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2026 10:23 am
by Chaser1
Dane involuntarily flinches at the pressure of Marty’s fingers, but he manages to keep his voice level. He looks down for a second, then back up. "Since you overheard our conversation, you already know Hummer and Meg know most of what you just told me. After what you did to Meg back when she and Teddy were dating, I don’t owe you any loyalty." He pauses, choosing his words carefully. "Yes, I know about that. I can probably promise not to tell Hummer, but Meg means a lot to me, and I don’t want to break her trust by keeping secrets from her."

He lets that sink in for a moment before asking, "Before I agree to anything, tell me one thing. How did you hear Hummer from this far away? Do you have surveillance equipment set up around here, or is there something else I should know?" Dane studies him, thinking about Hummer’s warning that Marty isn’t quite normal. Is he a d-bee with enhanced hearing? Something else entirely? The answer to that question might tell Dane whether he can trust him at all.

Marty gives him a look that’s half resignation, half kid‑you‑caught‑me. “Kid…” His shoulders sag like a deflated balloon, the posture of a man who has surrendered to the attrition exerted by a lifelong computer geek... because he is. “You’re too clever for your own good. I can hear better than most. Army implanted enhanced hearing when I got promoted to infiltration squad leader. Handy stuff. But sometimes I just like the raw sound of nature, music, whatever.” He glances toward Meg and Hummer. “Plus side? I can sometimes catch radio transmissions. Even the Smith Falls’ station.”

Then Marty straightens, composure returning like he’s snapping a mask back into place. He leans in close, voice dropping to a whisper that feels like a draft of cold air. “Listen, Dane… that thing," he nods toward Hummer "If it’s competent enough to hack the Coalition and not get caught? Or worse, survive the hellstorm they’d send after him? Then it’s dangerous. Real dangerous,” his eyes flicker, haunted. “And what if you’re just a pawn in whatever it wants next? This Drake guy; what do you actually know about him? What if he’s some wanted criminal who’ll have you running for the rest of your life? Like me…” Marty leans back, and for the first time, Dane sees it: a thin, fragile thread of sorrow woven into the man’s expression.

Re: Rifts - DMH - Black Hat vs White Hat - Dane

Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2026 3:45 pm
by jawildey
“Well, thank you for your honesty. I’ll make you a deal: I’ll curb my enthusiasm for trusting Hummer if you’ll keep me in the loop on anything you overhear that could help us. Frankly, our investigation might lead right to Teddy anyway.” Dane’s mind is running in overdrive again as he tries to build a bridge of trust. “Our best working hypothesis right now is that Teddy is out there looking for Vi and Megana. If we can catch up to him, we might find out what he’s managed to piece together. After the dust-up between Vi and Teddy at the festival, though, I don’t know what kind of state of mind he’s in, and I don’t entirely trust Hummer’s judgment on that either.”

Dane pauses for a moment, weighing how much vulnerability to show before adding one more thought.

“Mr. Swenson, since you were honest with me, I’ll do the same with you. I’m walking a thin line between knowing what I’m doing and being way over my head. So far I’ve managed to stay on the right side of it, but I know my luck won’t last forever. Your "son" and our friends are out there, and they’re probably in danger. If we want real answers, we’re going to have to accept some risk.”

Re: Rifts - DMH - Black Hat vs White Hat - Dane

Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2026 4:14 pm
by Chaser1
Dane’s words land with the weight of someone trying to build a bridge over a chasm, “Well, thank you for your honesty. I’ll make you a deal: I’ll curb my enthusiasm for trusting Hummer if you’ll keep me in the loop on anything you overhear that could help us. Frankly, our investigation might lead right to Teddy anyway.” Dane’s mind is running in overdrive again as he tries to build a bridge of trust. “Our best working hypothesis right now is that Teddy is out there looking for Vi and Megana. If we can catch up to him, we might find out what he’s managed to piece together. After the dust-up between Vi and Teddy at the festival, though, I don’t know what kind of state of mind he’s in, and I don’t entirely trust Hummer’s judgment on that either.”

Marty's eyes flash hope as Dane pauses for a moment, weighing how much vulnerability to show before adding one more thought, “Mr. Swenson, since you were honest with me, I’ll do the same with you. I’m walking a thin line between knowing what I’m doing and being way over my head. So far I’ve managed to stay on the right side of it, but I know my luck won’t last forever. Your "son" and our friends are out there, and they’re probably in danger. If we want real answers, we’re going to have to accept some risk.”

Marty raises a finger. “Hold that thought.” as he bolts toward his office. Dane hears drawers slam, metal clatter, hurried footsteps. Seconds later Marty returns, breath tight, holding a pistol case like it’s a sacred relic. He presses it into Dane’s hands, but doesn’t let go. “I spent several life savings’ worth of credits on this thing,” Marty says, voice low, almost trembling. “Promise me you’ll bring it back. So I know you’ll return.”

He opens the case. Inside rests a fancy looking energy pistol, "Patriot R‑22 Max‑Ion pistol. It's a relic from old‑world, rare enough to make collectors cry." Marty’s hand stays on the case, waiting, searching Dane’s face for an answer. And Dane sees it. A weight lifting from the man’s expression, a flicker of renewed hope.

OOC: Check your private messages for the stats

Re: Rifts - DMH - Black Hat vs White Hat - Dane

Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2026 4:44 pm
by jawildey
Dane's eyes widen in shock and for once, he's not sure what to say. He thought Meg was the only one that could make him speechless. "I uh...I don't know what to say. I can't accept that, even as a loan. That's way too expensive.

He finally agrees to accept the offering with a "I promise I'll bring it back." He gently lifts the gun out of the case and, using his knowledge of energy pistols, examines it to ensure he understands how this one works. Careful to keep it safely pointed at the ground where it can't hurt anyone, he thumbs power register to check the charge in the power cell. "This is beautiful, I'll take good care of it." He places the gun back in the case and carefully, as if it's fragile, takes the case from Marty.

Re: Rifts - DMH - Black Hat vs White Hat - Dane

Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2026 5:18 pm
by Chaser1
Dane's eyes widen in shock and for once, he's not sure what to say. He thought Meg was the only one that could make him speechless. "I uh...I don't know what to say. I can't accept that, even as a loan. That's way too expensive."

"If it brings my son back, I'm willing to risk it. You're hella smarter than me, boy. If anyone can find him or those girls, it's you! Take it." He pushes it into Dane's hands.

Dane finally agrees to accept the offering with a, "I promise I'll bring it back." He gently lifts the gun out of the case and, using his knowledge of energy pistols, examines it to ensure he understands how this one works. Careful to keep it safely pointed at the ground where it can't hurt anyone, he thumbs power register to check the charge in the power cell. "This is beautiful, I'll take good care of it." He places the gun back in the case and carefully, as if it's fragile, takes the case from Marty.

"You go on now. Sheriff is probably skeptical but I'll keep him in line." Marty mutters as Dane heads back to Hummer and Meg.

Once he's back to them, Megan smiles, "So, I'm coming with you... wherever you're planning on going."

Sheriff Erickson comes jogging back, "Hey Dane! You guys feel like coming with me? Megana's grandmother just called and said... well you're not gonna believe this... that a blind, bald woman, along with like an eight year old kid were walking along wind tunnel lane, near Sandy Lake, though the blowing snow. Says, they were barely dressed for the weather and escaped what she suspects was a slave labor crew," He reaches Meg, Dane, Marty and suspiciously eyes Hummer as he continues, "You're dad's busy and the other guys are on another job. I thought maybe your tech voodoo might be useful if they have any electronic evidence. Interested?"