Rifts - EotC - Silvereno

Follow here for the saga of the residents of Camp Wilson and Lake Crenshaw
User avatar
jawildey
Administrator
Posts: 1296
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:17 pm
Contact:

Re: Rifts - EotC - Silvereno

Post by jawildey »

Shep stops and closes his eyes for a moment, collecting his thoughts. He knows she'll interpret his silence as confirming her fears, so he doesn’t let the moment linger longer than a few flickers of a flame before opening his eyes again. “Carry… I’m broken,” he begins quietly. “If you saw into my mind during our connection earlier, you already know that.” He takes a slow breath. “I do enjoy being with you, and I know from that same moment how you feel about me. I just…”

He pauses, searching for the right words. “My demons overwhelm me sometimes, and that makes relationships… difficult. I’ve spent years building walls so I don’t get hurt—and so I don’t hurt anyone else. Tonight has been great, better than I would have ever expected. But what about tomorrow? Or the next day? Then what? Do we go back to our lives and pretend none of this happened? Or does it get more serious until I end up hurting you too?”

The thought he doesn’t say presses hard against the back of his mind. oO( What if you find out the things I’ve done and hate me for them. )Oo
User avatar
Chaser1
Administrator
Posts: 1708
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:38 pm
Contact:

Re: Rifts - EotC - Silvereno

Post by Chaser1 »

Shep stops and closes his eyes for a moment, collecting his thoughts. He knows she'll interpret his silence as confirming her fears, so he doesn’t let the moment linger longer than a few flickers of a flame before opening his eyes again. “Carry… I’m broken,” he begins quietly. “If you saw into my mind during our connection earlier, you already know that.” He takes a slow breath. “I do enjoy being with you, and I know from that same moment how you feel about me. I just…”

He pauses, searching for the right words. “My demons overwhelm me sometimes, and that makes relationships… difficult. I’ve spent years building walls so I don’t get hurt, and so I don’t hurt anyone else. Tonight has been great, better than I would have ever expected. But what about tomorrow? Or the next day? Then what? Do we go back to our lives and pretend none of this happened? Or does it get more serious until I end up hurting you too?”

The thought he doesn’t say presses hard against the back of his mind. oO( What if you find out the things I’ve done and hate me for them? )Oo

The cold air hangs heavy between them, thick with the weight of years neither of them can unlive. He feels her mind reach for his, like a fragile, hesitant brush against his thoughts, before her eyes drift open, clouded with a quiet, aching sorrow.

"And you believe I haven't had my share of mistakes?" Her voice is barely above a whisper, brittle as the winter frost. "My own weak moments? I'm sorry... I'm sorry that I peeked, that I tried to force this when you aren't ready. But I would rather risk the pain of you breaking my heart than live in the hollow quiet of never knowing you at all. I already know you, Shep. Please... don't strip that away from me now."

A slow tear spills over, tracing a cold path down her cheek as her gaze wanders across the dead, pale grass, speckled with the remnants of the last snowfall, "Shep, we've both endured for so long," she murmurs, the silence swallowing her words almost as quickly as she speaks them. "I'm willing to wait a lifetime for you."

Slowly, agonizingly, her eyes rise to meet his, carrying a pale shadow of hope that seems too frail for the heavy air, "Do what you must. I'll stay right here, beneath this sky, waiting for you. Unless... unless I can come along. I know how dangerous it is. But I would rather walk into the dark abyss of death beside you than spend my remaining days staring at the horizon, wondering if you're still breathing."
"I plan to live forever. Or die trying..." Vila - Blakes 7
User avatar
jawildey
Administrator
Posts: 1296
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:17 pm
Contact:

Re: Rifts - EotC - Silvereno

Post by jawildey »

Shep feels his resolve crumbling as he listens to the words floating through the air between them. He digests the depths of the feelings behind. Part of his mind says he should tear away from her and make a clean exit now. But there is still a part of him that is driven by emotion, adrenaline, and, he can't deny, even a bit of lust. The analytical side is rapidly losing to the emotional side. He reaches out to her and pulls her into a warm embrace, letting her head relax into his shoulder as "Shh.... It'll be okay. I'm not going anywhere. I just need to know that you're fully aware of what you're getting yourself into." He repeats the thought over again in his mind while thinking about her 'It'll be okay." [OOC: Subconscious use of Telepathy since he really doesn't understand his newly discovered abilities.]
User avatar
Chaser1
Administrator
Posts: 1708
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:38 pm
Contact:

Re: Rifts - EotC - Silvereno

Post by Chaser1 »

Shep feels his resolve crumbling as he listens to the words floating through the air between them. He digests the depths of the feelings behind. Part of his mind says he should tear away from her and make a clean exit now. But there is still a part of him that is driven by emotion, adrenaline, and, he can't deny, even a bit of lust. The analytical side is rapidly losing to the emotional side. He reaches out to her and pulls her into a warm embrace, letting her head relax into his shoulder as "Shh.... It'll be okay. I'm not going anywhere. I just need to know that you're fully aware of what you're getting yourself into." He repeats the thought over again in his mind while thinking about her 'It'll be okay."

A radiant, beautiful smile breaks across her face, squeezing the remaining tears from her eyes as she wraps her arms around his waist and holds him close. When she finally leans back, her tear-stained face is glowing with affection, "Okay!" she giggles softly, her voice light and musical as she breathes new life into the moment. "Where to next, then? On to new adventures!"

A passing couple strolls along the nearby walkway. The man, elegantly dressed, offers Shep a respectful nod, but his date leans in, whispering loud enough to slice through the quiet. "Did you see her skin and eyes? She's a D-Bee!"

The man hushes her, urging her to be polite, but her spiteful hushed tones fade into the distance. Carry doesn't even flinch. The rest of the world has completely melted away. She simply gazes up into Shep's eyes, her expression overflowing with unconditional love, "Thank you," she whispers softly.
"I plan to live forever. Or die trying..." Vila - Blakes 7
User avatar
jawildey
Administrator
Posts: 1296
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:17 pm
Contact:

Re: Rifts - EotC - Silvereno

Post by jawildey »

Shep barely registers the conversation of the couple as well; caught up in the moment. A small part...a very small part...of his mind can't fully ignore it, either. The accumulation of all of the small insults that Carry has to endure daily will likely catch up to him at some point. But for now?...for now he's enjoying the warm embrace of a very physically attractive woman. Earlier concerns about age completely forgotten. His mind already filing that away as irrelevant.

"New adventures?" I don't know what you mean." He replies teasingly. After the expected moment of mock indignation, he pulls her tight against his chest and leans in; hoping that she will reciprocate and return his kiss.
User avatar
Chaser1
Administrator
Posts: 1708
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:38 pm
Contact:

Re: Rifts - EotC - Silvereno

Post by Chaser1 »

Shep barely registers the conversation of the couple as well; caught up in the moment. A small part...a very small part...of his mind can't fully ignore it, either. The accumulation of all of the small insults that Carry has to endure daily will likely catch up to him at some point. But for now?...for now he's enjoying the warm embrace of a very physically attractive woman. Earlier concerns about age completely forgotten. His mind already filing that away as irrelevant.

"New adventures?" I don't know what you mean." He replies teasingly. After the expected moment of mock indignation, he pulls her tight against his chest and leans in; hoping that she will reciprocate and return his kiss.

And she doesn't hesitate.

She melts into him, meeting his lips with a passion so fierce and effortless it steals the breath right from his lungs. Time bends around them; minutes evaporating like mere seconds in the quiet heat of their embrace. If Shep has ever known a kiss more electric than this, the memory is entirely swept away by the feeling of her hands in his hair and her heart beating against his chest.

When she finally pulls back, her eyes sparkle in the low light, her smile luminous and breathless. She squeezes his hand, her fingers laced tightly through his as if anchoring herself to him, utterly unwilling to let go.

"Have you ever been to an arcade?" she asks, a radiant, infectious excitement lighting up her face as she tugs him gently back toward the warm glow of downtown. "I used to love going all the time! They even have real pre-cataclysmic games!" She halts mid-step, turning to face him, her eyes dancing with affection, "Have you ever heard of 'After Burner'?" as her grip never loosens in his hand.
"I plan to live forever. Or die trying..." Vila - Blakes 7
User avatar
jawildey
Administrator
Posts: 1296
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:17 pm
Contact:

Re: Rifts - EotC - Silvereno

Post by jawildey »

"I can't say that I've ever heard of such a thing." Shep responds with a hint of confused amusement in his voice. "Ar-cade, you say? With games? Like card games and such?" Nonetheless, he allows himself to be led away.
User avatar
Chaser1
Administrator
Posts: 1708
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:38 pm
Contact:

Re: Rifts - EotC - Silvereno

Post by Chaser1 »

"I can't say that I've ever heard of such a thing." Shep responds with a hint of confused amusement in his voice. "Ar-cade, you say? With games? Like card games and such?" Nonetheless, he allows himself to be led away.

"No! Oh my gosh, no! You're gonna love this!" She squeaks, practically vibrating with excitement.

She navigates through yet another bewildering maze of walkways and storefronts, executing a masterclass in loops until they end up right back at the Silver Palace, where Hatch and his crew are almost certainly a few dozen drinks deep and losing their shirts at poker.

Instead of hitting the main entrance, Carry drags Shep around the side toward a door vibrating with a glorious, chaotic racket; dinging bells, chip-tune music, kids cheering, and teenagers and young adults passionately screaming profanities at screens.

She throws the door open and steps into a full-blown neon paradise, twirling with the dramatic flair of a game show hostess revealing a million-dollar prize. Everywhere he looks, the place is stuffed to the gills with arcade cabinets, carnival-style games of skill, virtual reality pods, a laser tag arena, an obstacle course, and a bewildering array of multiplayer attractions clearly built for people half his age.

"When I was a kid, I wanted to play in these so bad, but I was never allowed in," she declares, beaming like she just inherited the place. "Until a few years ago!"

Before Shep can even process the sensory overload, she's pulling him toward a whole alley of high-tech virtual reality setups, complete with full-body suits, heavy headsets, plastic rifles, and multi-directional treadmills.

Bouncing on her heels like a kid on a sugar rush, she shoves a bodysuit straight into his chest. "Play with me! Come on, I know the perfect game! It's a fantasy world, and if we beat it, we get to go walk in outer space!"
"I plan to live forever. Or die trying..." Vila - Blakes 7