I&C - Chapter 2 - The Chase

From the former PBEM and basis for the current game, we have archived the events of the original game in Chapters. Enjoy!
Post Reply
User avatar
Chaser1
Administrator
Posts: 1708
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:38 pm
Contact:

I&C - Chapter 2 - The Chase

Post by Chaser1 »

Rifts - Ivy & Chrome - Chapter 2 - The Chase

Current Party:
Bruce Wolfstien
Jenna Page viewtopic.php?p=2516&sid=1c166348b87729 ... 6d5c#p2516
Lucas Bloomfield
St Sgt. Alec Dallas
Lorianna
Jedite
Nicklous
Chris Valee
Mavis

Guest Appearance: Centak: viewtopic.php?p=2508&sid=1c166348b87729 ... 6d5c#p2508

Greene leads the group toward the militia armory with the kind of scowl that suggests he’s been annoyed since sunrise. His boots grind against the dirt, each step a muttered complaint.

Behind him, Nick pesters like a kid in a candy aisle during a sugar shortage, “Do you think I could get an NG‑P7 particle beam rifle? Maybe some decent armor? Power armor? And a few extra E‑clips?”

“Clips and gun are fine,” Greene growls. “Body armor… maybe. Power armor? No. You buy that yourself.” His grumbling resumes like a broken engine.

Chris chimes in without missing a beat, “Greene, I’ll take two or three long E‑clips, vibro‑bayonet, and a few frag or plasma grenades.” Greene nods absently, already regretting bringing them here.

Inside the armory, Alec replaces everything he lost in the explosion... then keeps going. Ten clips per energy weapon. A crate to hold them. Four crates of mini‑missiles. Extra magazines. He piles gear like a child stacking toys, except these toys explode. The others stare, unsure whether to intervene or let him bury himself under his own arsenal.

Jenna laughs, unbothered. “I don’t need that much. Something better than what I’ve got. Nothing fancy. Laser pistol’s fine.”

Alec tosses her one without looking, then pauses mid‑hoard. “What happened after the militia got to the battle scene?”

Greene exhales sharply, “Dead bodies. Broken bots. Whoever did it didn’t stick around. If you want answers, you’ll have to go back and dig for them yourselves.”

Bruce shrugs, “I just need a gun and armor. Doesn’t matter what. Long as it works.” Alec tosses him a weapon too.

Jedite waits quietly for new armor. A guard brings him a set nearly identical to his old one, but wrong colors, but close enough.

Chris steps forward after getting his gear, “You better lead the way. I’m new in Ishpeming. What do you know about the Chrome gang?”

Bruce answers before Greene can, “They’re violent assholes who need to die.”

Lucas turns to Jenna. “Can you do that armor‑piece trick again? Maybe track them?”

She shrugs, “Maybe. I want to see what the skelebots can tell us first. They look like they’re running the gang.”

Greene corners Alec. “What are you going to do when you find them? Especially if they’re working with the CS?”

Alec loads another crate. “We’ll figure it out when we get there," then dusts off his hand, looking back at everyone, "Let’s head back to the edge of town.”

Chris asks, “How much do we get for each Chrome head?”

No one answers.

Greene leans toward Mavis. “I’ll pay you separately. And don’t pull your stunts this time.” Then louder, “Alec knows how much you’re getting paid. Talk to him.”

Mavis salutes, jetpack roaring to life as he blasts upward. Greene storms back inside, delivering near incoherent shouting at his guards.
***********************************
The group returns to the battlefield. Bodies still lie where they fell. Warren’s remains are a brutal reminder of how quickly things went wrong. Chrome corpses are scattered like broken dolls. Two skelebots lie in pieces and ruined. Footprints, four or five sets, lead into the trees. Scorch marks stain the earth. Dirt is kicked up around Warren’s body. The scene is chaos frozen in time.

Lucas stares, horrified. “God… Warren…”

Nick digs through skelebot remains. Bruce joins him, hoping to salvage something worth hacking.

Mavis studies the footprints. Alec kneels beside him. The tracks tell a story: six arrivals, two departures, two returns with skelebots, Warren, and Bruce. Two individuals who ran fast, maybe too fast. Jedite’s tracks appear later. Four sets lead into the trees. One comes from the trees. Three head back toward town.

Alec examines the skelebots. One was blasted by its own reflected shots, then slashed, then hit with JA‑11 lasers. The other is barely better off. Nick is deep in thought as he keeps looking, completely absorbed.

Jedite breaks the silence. “Why don’t we track the Chromes who fled? They might lead us to their leader. Or at least give us someone to question.”

Chris nods. “I’ll go. I can’t track, but I’ve got other skills.”

Alec gestures toward the trees. “I’ll tag along. I’ve got unfinished business.”

Mavis levitates up. “My path is preordained. I’ll go too. And watch for traps.” He hovers forward, yet his jetpack is silent.

Lori surveys the carnage. “I’m not disappointed I missed this.” She turns to Lucas. “Should we bury Warren?” He nods, and together they dig as the sun sinks, sky turning dark blue and purple. Nothing useful remains except the tracks. The two eventually finish burying Warren.

“I can’t believe he let himself get caught,” Lori mutters. “He should’ve known.” She sighs, frustrated. “I’m going to go do something. Lucas… want to come?”

“Uh… sure,” he says, uneasy.

Jenna walks over and squeezes Lucas’ hand. “We’re heading back. Catch up later.” They leave. Lori can only guess that Jenna didn't want him alone with a pretty elf.

Alec heads to his car. “Nick! You wanted heavier firepower. Help me haul this.” He drags out two steel cases: one labeled WI‑23, the other plastered with warnings.

Nick helps. “What’s in these?”

“Surprises for SAMAS pilots.” Alec loads a magazine into a missile launcher and hands it over.

Nick grins. “Nice. We’ll blow holes in someone’s ass with this.”

Jedite leads the group where the tracks converge, then split again as the sun bleeds red across the horizon. Mavis continues swooping ahead, scouting. He sniffs the air as Jedite follows the tracks toward a hill. The unaccounted tracks merge with six others heading west. Some aren’t human.

Nick suggests, “We should get vehicles and supplies. Who knows how far this goes.”

oO(A true test of my worthiness.)Oo Mavis fires his jetpack and shoots forward, only to lose the scent. Frustrated, he waits.

Jedite nods. “Good idea. But I’d rather stay on foot as long as they are. Easier to track. I’ll leave signs.”

Nick heads back for supplies. Bruce follows. Lori joins, worried about her horse.

As everyone catches up to him, Mavis has a revelation. “Four dog‑boys. Two humans. And a juicer. Smells like the drugs on him." He points at Chris.

Chris cracks his knuckles. “Humans are the rest of the Chrome. Dog‑boys won’t be a problem. I’ll give that juicer a second smile.”

Flashlights flick on. The tracks lead to the tracks of two vehicles. Evidence shows that the tracks all boarded the vehicles. The trail heads southwest fast, maybe 45-55 mph. At the edge of the field, two skelebot tracks turn back toward Ishpeming.
***********************************
The engines roar beneath them, drowning out everything but adrenaline and the wind. Jenna leans toward Lucas as they speed down the road. “What do we do about Drake? And what if the Chrome aren’t even there when we get back?” Her voice cuts through the noise with uncertainty, but determined. “I guess we’ll just have to see, aye?”

Lucas shouts over the bikes, “The Chrome are going to pay. But… I think we’re in over our necks this time. What do we do?”

“We kill the bastards!” Jenna fires back, fierce and unshaken. “We’ll get them, and they can’t stop us. We’re going to rule this town.”

They blast through an intersection, resulting in cars honking, tires skidding, narrowly avoiding a collision.

Lucas exhales hard. “Yeah… I think we’ve got a good enough mix of fighters to wipe them out. I just wonder how many Chrome are actually left.”

“We’ll find out,” Jenna says, shrugging like danger is just another chore.

They reach the Blue Angels’ warehouse. Drake stands in the middle of a half‑built defensive line, barking orders, until he spots them. He pauses, confused, “What are you two doing back so early?”

Jenna hops off her bike, frustration spilling out, “The guys who kidnapped Warren? Alive. Warren? Dead. Big time. We tried to get to the fight, but everyone came running around the corner in a panic. So we came back to town to reload. When we went back and boom! Dead bodies everywhere. The others examined the scene while Lucas and Lori buried Warren.” She gestures toward Lucas. “He said we should update you. So here we are!”

Lucas nods. “We might need your help. Would you come with us to find the last of the Chrome? There might still be some in Ishpeming.”

“So?” Jenna asks. “Wanna come?”

Drake grins, almost too eager and ready. “Hell, why not? Haven’t been out of Ishpeming in a while. Let’s see if I still have my wits.” His gang stares, stunned, as he turns to them, “Alright, take inventory and finish the defenses. Slate, you’re in charge while I’m gone.”

Slate nods.

Drake disappears into the warehouse, then reemerges moments later armed and armored in Coalition DeadBoy gear. It's heavy and bulky, yet he moves like it’s nothing. He jumps into a hover jeep and signals Jenna and Lucas to lead the way.

They return to the edge of town. The battlefield is empty now, except a few scavengers picking through scraps. Drake frowns, scanning the ground. “Did they say which direction they were headed?”

Tracks lead southwest into the dark. Only the distant city lights give shape to the night. Alec’s Dodge and Jedite’s hovercycle sit abandoned nearby.

Lucas squints. “Didn’t Jedite say he’d leave a trail for us to follow?”

“What?” Jenna snaps. “I thought you told them to keep their asses here! Well… he probably did. But I didn’t listen.” She sighs, stepping toward the tracks. “Let’s see what we’ve got.”
***********************************
The farther they get from town, the louder the wilderness becomes. Coyotes yip, wild dogs bark, and something in the distance roars like it’s auditioning for Nature’s Most Terrifying Sound Effects. Bruce, who’s lived his whole life in Ishpeming, looks around like he’s just discovered the concept of “outside.”

Lori, her horse, Nick and Bruce return as Bruce explains, "We came back, scared we'd get left behind."

Mavis starts whistling a tune that sounds like it was written by someone who wanted to summon trouble on purpose.

Chris smirks at him. “So, what now? Camp here or head back? Also... anyone got duct tape?”

Mavis stops mid‑whistle, drops from the air like a disgruntled pigeon, and lands with a thud. “Chris, me singing my worthless song is about as useful as us camping here with zero supplies. If I thought we were going on a camping trip, don’t you think I’d have brought something besides my charming personality?” He wobbles his head dramatically, mocking Chris. “But I didn’t. So I’ll just curl up next to this thorn bush, thank you very much.”

Chris sighs. “Great. First he sings loud enough to attract every monster within ten miles... entertaining, sure, but not ideal for staying alive. And now he won’t stop babbling. I slept under the stars last night. One more night won’t kill me.”

Mavis shrugs and starts unpacking under the nearest tree. “Fine by me. I’ll take first watch. One of you can use my tent.” He glances at Chris, bracing for another jab.

Chris obliges. “Take first watch, Mavis. I’ll take second. And if some monster heard you singing and comes sniffing around, just sing again. You’ll wake all of us instantly.” He spreads out his sleeping bag and sets his rifle beside him, staring up at the stars like he’s trying to negotiate with them.

Nick sets up the same way, placing his rifle and missile launcher within arm’s reach. He closes his eyes, praying for silence.

Bruce joins Mavis on first watch, sitting on the opposite side of the tree, also staring at the stars, though with less existential dread.

Alec, who prefers quiet, stands. “I’m going to scout ahead a few clicks. The Chrome are probably bunkering down too. Anyone want to come?”

Chris jumps up immediately. “I’ll go. If someone needs my sleeping bag, take it. I won’t use it tonight.” He’s practically thrilled to escape the noise. “Lead the way, Alec.”

By the time they leave, Nick is already snoring like the wilderness is his natural habitat.

Ten minutes later, Mavis hears something before anyone else; a low, mechanical hum, like a giant vacuum cleaner rolling across the plains. Four headlights appear from the direction of town, sweeping the darkness as the vehicle crawls forward, searching.

Without hesitation, Mavis fires up his jetpack and rockets into the sky. His thrusters blaze bright… then sputter out and fade...
***********************************
Jenna, Lucas, and Drake all freeze at the same moment as the night splits open with a sudden jetpack burst. Twin engines flare bright against the darkness, then snuff out instantly, vanishing like someone pinched the flame of a match. Whoever it was shot out of the tree line ahead, a brief silhouette swallowed by the night.

Jenna’s eyes widen, trying to make sense of the blink‑and‑gone apparition. “Where did that come from? And the bigger question… where’s it going?”

Lucas slows his bike to a stop, looking around like the answer might be hiding behind a bush. He shrugs, because honestly, what else is there to do when jetpacks start behaving like haunted fireworks?

Drake scans the darkness, his eyes faintly glowing orange, which is never a comforting sight. “We better find cover fast or head back and set camp.” His tone suggests he’d prefer not to get surprise‑jetpacked tonight.

Jenna swallows, nerves creeping in. “Let’s go set camp. We’ll find the others in the morning.”

Drake nods. “Alright. Let’s hit the ley line. About three clicks in, if nothing shows up, we turn back. Sound good?”

Lucas chimes in, trying to sound confident. “Okay. If their camp isn’t close, then they either camped on the other side of the ley line… or didn’t camp at all. And nobody in their right mind sleeps near a ley line when the supernatural have home‑field advantage.
”**************************
Lori quietly guides her horse behind the trees, every movement careful, controlled, like she’s expecting the forest itself to lunge at her. Jedite stands, stretches once, then leaps into a nearby tree with the ease of someone who’s done this far too often. He settles into the branches, watching the newcomers with predator‑level patience.

A woman’s voice carries through the dark, reacting to Mavis’ sudden vertical launch. A hover jeep and two bikes roll to a stop, headlights slicing through the trees. Someone suggests setting up camp, sounding way too casual for people who just saw a human rocket.

Nick shoves his pack and weapons behind a tree, trying to look like he’s been peacefully sleeping this whole time. Bruce joins him, both men watching the headlights like they’re waiting for them to blink.

“God damn,” Bruce mutters. “Whatever that was scared off a whole squad of Chrome and CS Regulars.”

Mavis drops silently beside the newcomers, slipping through the darkness like a mischievous shadow. He sneaks up behind the man on the bike, clamps him in a headlock, and whispers with theatrical menace, “Don’t move. Who are you working for? State your name, soldier…”

“Hey man! You know who I am! It’s me... Lucas!” the figure grunts.

Mavis immediately lets go. “Oh. Well. You never can be too careful. Sorry, Lucas. Nice to see you guys. And thanks for scaring the shit out of me!”

Drake and Lucas kill their headlights, plunging everyone into instant night blindness.

Lucas laughs. “Like we knew exactly where you guys were… Where is everyone?”

Lori steps out of the shadows, tying her horse again. “Hello, Lucas. Who are your friends?”

Bruce calls from behind the tree, “We’re over here! What are you guys doing out here so late?”

Jenna answers, “Looking for you. Find anything yet?”

Bruce walks over. “Nope. Just tracks. Chris and Alec went ahead. We’ll scout at first light. And you?”

“Just tracks,” Jenna grimaces. “Probably yours. Oh... and everyone’s transportation.” She smirks. “Hope they find something… but not too soon. I wanna sleep.”

“I suggest you all sleep now,” Mavis says, already slipping into responsible‑soldier mode. “I’ll keep watch.”

“Good deal.” Jenna grabs Lucas’ hand. “Care to join me?”

Lucas smirks. “Yeah, sure.” He jogs off, trying and failing to find flat ground.

Jenna follows, laughing. “Gee, that looks comfy.”

“Ummm… no,” Lucas says, eyebrow raised. “How about over here?” He points to a spot only marginally less terrible.

Drake chimes in, “Put some soft sod on it and you’ll have a nice sleeping area… assuming you’re not naked.” He grins mischievously, then whispers, “This is gonna be one long trip.”

Jedite drops from his tree perch. “Jenna, Lucas… Drake! Good to see you.” He gives Drake a handshake‑pat combo. “Sorry I wasn’t here to greet you. Had to make sure no one followed you.” He steps back, thoughtful. “I think I’ll go hunting. Not tired yet. Deer or rabbit?”

Bruce doesn’t hesitate. “Bring back a big, juicy deer. I’m starving.”

Jenna tries to get comfortable as Lucas lies down. “That looks better. You gonna be my comforter tonight?”

Lucas grins and starts kissing her.

Mavis focuses on a few pebbles, lifting them with concentration until they drop and ping off the jeep. He sighs, laughs, and says, “Good night, guys,” before disappearing back into the bushes like a gremlin returning to its lair.
***********************************
Alec crouches over the corpse, eyes narrowing. The Chrome isn’t ripped apart, he’s cleaved. A clean, brutal cut straight through armor and bone. Wildlife tore at the leftovers, but the main wound is a clean slice.

“Whatever did this sliced him clean in half,” Alec mutters. “Armor didn’t even slow it down. Hot knife through butter. Any ideas?”

They’ve walked miles through rolling hills, scattered trees, the tracks never stopping. Whoever killed the Chrome didn’t bother hiding the body. They just left him.

Chris scans the horizon. “Ley lines aren’t far. Things get unpredictable out there. They might’ve camped on the other side. We keep scouting or head back?”

Alec shrugs. “If you wanna go back, go. I’m hunting whatever did that. I’ll be back by morning.”

Chris kneels, checking for larger tracks.

Alec smirks. “Takes two to tango. Let’s hunt.”

They push forward until Alec freezes. He spots movement up ahead. Something massive crawls out of the grass. At first it looks like a spider, until it turns, revealing a scorpion tail arching over its back. Two more cling to a tree, their legs twitching.

The one in the grass launches at them, scuttling rapidly through the grass.

“Oh shit! what the hell is that?” Alec shouts. He fires a grenade and two laser bursts. The lasers vanish mid‑air, swallowed by an invisible barrier. The grenade detonates harmlessly in front of the creature, shrapnel bouncing off nothing.

“Great! They’ve got force fields! And did I mention I hate spiders?!”

Chris fires two ion bursts, which are also stopped cold. He charges anyway, slinging his rifle and drawing his vibro‑sword, its edge buzzing as Alec retreats, realizing his weapons are useless.

The creature raises its tail and front legs, each tipped with barbed, blade‑like hooks. Chris dives under it, slashing its underbelly. A thin gash opens.

It retaliates instantly, hooking Chris’ armor, lifting him, ripping a strap free, then tearing into his shoulder.

Chris grits his teeth and slices again, carving a long wound across its abdomen. The creature stabs at him, missing and punching a crater into the earth.

He scrambles beneath it, slashing a leg joint. The exoskeleton cracks. It tries again, he dodges. He swings and misses.

Alec stumbles through a shimmering field of static. The air tingles. The creature doesn’t notice him. It's too focused on Chris. The other two drop from the tree, scurrying to join the fight.

Chris cuts another crease into the monster’s abdomen as both men think the same thing, oO(This may take awhile.)Oo

Alec charges, screaming, “SPOOOOON!”

Chris yells back, “If you get close, USE YOUR GUN! I’ll keep it busy!”

“With pleasure!”

Chris slashes again, but the spider rears up, avoiding the blow.

Alec unloads into its side. White, translucent goo sprays out. The creature shrieks it's last breath as the other two arrive.

Chris stabs, and frowns as his blade skips off the armor.

Alec keeps firing. The creature turns toward him. His skin suddenly burns with itching under his armor, unbearable.

Chris swings and misses as the creature leaps away.

Chris lunges forward, slashing the first creature across its abdomen as it lands; its body deflates like a collapsing lung.

Alec pulls a grenade, fighting the burning sensation crawling across his skin.

“Good idea,” Chris says, pulling a plasma grenade.

Pins pulled and spoons fly as they throw.

The grenades detonate, resulting in legs blow off, shrapnel tears into their abdomens. But the creatures keep coming, dragging themselves forward, determined to end them both.*************************************
Jedite slips out of camp just moments before distant explosions ripple through the hills. The sound rolls across the grass like thunder. Mavis snaps his head toward the direction Alec and Chris went, eyes narrowing.

Jedite reappears, silent, efficient, with two deer slung over one shoulder and five hares tied together on the other. All strangled to death.

“I’m gonna check out whatever that was,” he says, dropping the catch with a heavy thud. “If someone wants to cook while I’m gone…” He vanishes into the dark again.

Mavis checks his jetpack, ignites it, and rockets toward the explosions, blue flame cutting through the night.

Bruce strolls over to Nick, who’s trying to pretend he’s asleep, “Should we go with them?”

Nick sighs, grabs his gear, and the two jog southwest toward the commotion.

Lori pulls her sleeping bag off her head, defeated. The Megaverse clearly has no interest in letting her rest. She stands, grabs a knife, and starts butchering Jedite’s catch with practiced irritation.

“Don’t they realize it’ll be over before they get there?” she mutters, skinning a rabbit. Jedite and Mavis maybe. The testosterone’s drowning out their common sense. And why can’t I get one good night’s rest around here?”

Jenna and Lucas ignore everything, locked in their own little world.

Drake reclines in his jeep, feet on the dash, eyes closed, “They’ve got it handled. And if they don’t… us going won’t matter.”
**************************************
Chris dives under the newest spider‑scorpion hybrid, aiming for his signature maneuver. The creature reacts instantly, two hooked legs swing down like guillotines. Chris jukes left, then right, narrowly avoiding the blades as he fires more ion bursts at the monster advancing on Alec.

The second arachnid lashes its tail at Alec. He steps back just in time as the tail slams into the earth, carving another crater. Chris’ shots splatter ooze from the creature’s side. Alec fires too, and the beast collapses, deflating into a grotesque jelly heap.

Chris realizes several of his shots nearly hit Alec. He drops his rifle, grips his vibro‑sword with both hands, and charges. His blade misses, but Alec’s barrage of shots tears into the creature, dropping it like the others.

Jedite and Mavis arrive at the same moment. Chris’ armor hangs in shredded pieces.

Alec gasps for breath. “Man, I hope we never deal with giant‑ass arachnids again.” He spots them. “Wow! You guys missed it. As usual... unfashionably late.” He reloads.

Chris reloads his JA‑11, grumbling as he gathers the wreckage of his armor. “Crisse de grosse merde ambulante… my poor armor…” He holds up two twisted plates like they've betrayed him.

Mavis stomps into one of the spider corpses, laughing. “Had to get my hit in! OH Nellie!” He turns back, “So, did you find any clues before throwing a party?”

Jedite nearly leaves when he and Mavis hear Nick and Bruce approaching. Mavis heads off to investigate.

Chris shakes his head. “There’s late… and then there’s late. Why’d they even bother coming?” He drops his ruined armor and jogs toward camp. Alec follows.

Jedite sighs and runs after them. oO(Glad they asked what I wanted to do…)Oo
**************************************
Nick and Bruce jog through the dark, losing their bearings. After several minutes, even with the ley line glowing ahead, they’re convinced they’re lost. They walk toward it anyway, hoping it’s the right direction.

Mavis trails them, snapping twigs for attention before shouting, “Hey! What are you guys doing?”

Nick slows, creeping toward the voice. “Who wants to know?”

“Me. Mavis.”

Nick sighs. “We were heading toward the ley line. Guess we got off track.”

“Well, I hope I can find my way back too.” Mavis grins, pulls out his camera, and snaps a photo of the glowing ley line.
**************************************
Everyone eats, then prepares for bed… again. The camp settles into that uneasy quiet where everyone pretends they’re relaxed, but no one actually is.

Drake and Lucas keep glancing toward the dark tree line, clearly worried about the missing trio. Jenna notices. “They should be fine. Where’d they go? Hunting our enemies? They shouldn’t have gone alone. Would’ve been safer to take a woman along.” She winks, but the humor doesn’t quite hide her nerves.

Lori smirks. “Yeah, if only there was someone to ask directions from. Besides, they can take care of themselves… right?”

Jenna shrugs, voice dripping sarcasm. “Sure. Mavis is with Nick and his ‘hero,’ so they won’t get lost. Worst case, they run into a giant spider and die horribly. Then we get a nice quiet night under the stars. Win‑win.”

Jedite returns, dishes up the meat he caught, then immediately lies down. “Wake me if anything semi‑exciting happens. Goodnight.”

Moments later, Mavis leads Nick and Bruce safely back into camp.

Drake nods at them. “What took you so long?”

Bruce shrugs. “Darkness.” He climbs into the jeep and is asleep before anyone can argue.

Alec eats a bit from his rations, quietly cleaning his weapons, then stands abruptly. “I can’t sleep. I’m checking out the ley lines.”

Chris wipes his mouth. “Wait for me.” Bruce and Lori grab their gear and fall in line.

Nick joins too, pushing his bike, chewing rabbit. “Why the hell are we going to the ley line? I thought we were hunting the Chrome and CS. Doesn’t anyone care what they did to Warren? I’m going after those bastards. Who’s with me?”

Bruce, awake again, pats his shoulder. “I’m with you. Nothing to lose.”

Mavis pulls out a photograph of the ley line, waving it like a carnival prize. “Nick’s right. You all act like you’re sightseeing. Look! Pretty picture!” He crosses his eyes and puts on a goofy voice. “Ooo, dat’s perdy.” Then nods seriously. “I’m with you, man," and trots off into the night.

Chris sighs. “If you three hadn’t gotten lost, you’d know Alec and I found a Chrome corpse near the ley lines... And killed three giant spiders. We’re picking up where we left off. If you want to go somewhere else, go.”

Jedite sits up, sighs, gathers his gear, and joins the back of the group, thinking, oO(This group is very bipolar…)Oo then says, “We have a job to finish. Let’s stop talking and do it. Sound good?”

Lori frowns. “I thought Alec went to the ley lines because it had something to do with the Chrome. If it doesn’t, why are you going?”

Nick throws his hands up. “If someone told me you found tracks, I wouldn’t think you were going sightseeing!”

Everyone heads back out...
*********************************
Alec and Chris lead the group a few miles ahead to the dead Chrome. The body looks the same, except now odd, unfamiliar bugs crawl in and out of the torn armor. The tracks continue exactly where Alec and Chris left off earlier.

Another set of tracks leads toward tracks of a jeep that plowed through dense foliage straight toward the ley line. Easy trail to follow.

Chris kneels, examining the corpse. The armor isn’t just torn... It’s burned. He frowns, “We didn’t see the spiders use fire.”

He turns to Alec, “Stinger attack? Or something else?” as he scans the area for a potential ambush, “Before we continue, if you see a giant spider with a scorpion tail, don’t shoot unless you’re close. You’ll waste ammo.”

Drake shakes his head. “Those bastards have no respect for the creatures out here.”

Lucas gives him a strange look, “Drake, do you have any report saying the Chrome use magic? Because it’s weird they’re following the ley line. Unless they have a death wish.”

“No… but maybe they think we’ll be thrown off. Or maybe they think the critters won’t hurt them. And I’ve got a feeling their leader isn’t just some dumb thug. Might be psychic. Or a magic user.”

Lucas glances at Lori, then Jenna. “The two people who could’ve told us if the Chrome had a magic user were off somewhere else during the fight. So…They’ve got firepower. But we can outsmart them.”

Drake addresses Chris, “You were there when the fight started, right? When did you show up? See anyone else?”

Chris nods, “Yeah. I was heading toward Ishpeming for work. Heard fighting. Saw them battling two skelebots and Chrome. I shot the skelebot’s head off while Jedite finished them. Grabbed the kid, retreated with the others, followed them to NG militia HQ. I stuck around hoping to get paid when we catch them.”

Drake watches him with a half‑smile. “I’m sure you’ll get some money out of this. Depends on Sgt. Dallas… especially now that Mavis chickened out.”

Chris doesn’t look up from the tracks. “Heads in the game. Not the time to talk money.”

Nick stares at the ley line with its bluish‑white tendrils flowing like living lightning, utterly transfixed. The air hums. The ground vibrates. Even breathing feels louder than it should.

Lori rests her NG‑P7 across her lap, eyes scanning the shifting glow of the ley line like it might suddenly reach out and grab someone.
**********************************
The group travels for half a day, slowly leaving the ley line behind. As the sun rises higher, the woods thin into tall grassy plains. They crest a small hill, open land stretching for miles. Jeep tracks cut through the grass like a scar.

Then Lori freezes as she observes four fast‑moving objects streak across the sky, northbound… and toward them. She yanks out her binoculars. Chris lifts his rifle scope. The shapes sharpen into sleek, armored, predatory looking power armor. Maybe SAMAS. Maybe worse.

Alec lowers his binoculars, “We scatter. If they’re CS, they’ll be SAMAS. Wait until they’re close enough to identify.”

Nick nods sharply. “Scatter and take cover. And if they are CS? We blow them out of the sky.”

Jenna is already diving for cover as Drake shoves the jeep into thick brush. Hovercycles, horse, bikes moved quickly as everyone ditches their rides and disappears into the foliage.

The group waits five minutes. Then ten. Maybe fifteen...

The shapes become more clear as four SAMAS units. One looks freshly repaired, unpainted metal gleaming. The others circle overhead like vultures. They drop to within 300 feet.

Alec explodes upward. “We’ve got ’em by surprise! Let’s rock!” He fires his Firebreather.

Nick aims for a skeletal helmet, hoping to blind or kill the pilot.

Chris shouts, “Alec! Missile launcher! Now!”

Alec’s shots sear the armor. Chris’ blasts scorch thrusters. Nick’s particle beam tears part of its helmet clean off. The other three SAMAS split, targeting a densest cluster of foliage.

Drake belly‑crawls down the hill, flips over, pistol drawn, waiting.

Lucas and Bruce scramble into their armor. Jenna lies flat, barely breathing.

Across the field, a man named Atreides watches from the grass, hugging his rifle.
oO(Interesting… wonder who’ll win)Oo

Chris sprints along the hillside, searching for a better angle.

Nick bolts toward Jenna. His next shot goes wide, missing the damaged SAM entirely. Chris fires again, trying to spread the three others out. The SAMAS veers away as two others line up their attack.

Drake and Lucas dive into Jenna’s force field. Nick dives in after them. Drake gives Jenna a knowing smile as Lucas looks utterly confused. Bruce scrambles behind the rock where Lori hides.

Two SAMAS swoop in and unload on Jenna’s force field. The barrier shatters. Lucas is blasted backward, armor absorbing the rest of their C‑40 rounds. He yelps as he hits the ground.

The fourth SAMAS fires at Jedite, who dodges and trots downhill.

Lori pops up unloading with her NG‑P7, hitting the damaged SAM dead‑on. Its armor warps, but the machine keeps flying.

Chris reaches a vantage point, kneels, fires and misses again.

Lori casts a spell, creating a glowing net out of thin air. One SAMAS is caught, yanked backward by the net's tenacity. The other fires at her as she and Bruce dive aside as the rock explodes into shards.

The fourth SAMAS keeps firing at Jedite, but he’s too fast.

Chris fires at the retreating SAM, missing again. Lucas sits up, inspecting the massive dents in his armor. Drake moves for deeper cover.

Chris switches to the trapped SAMAS in Lori’s net. His shots slam into the armor as the pilot desperately tries to blast free.

Alec mutters, “Alright, you assholes… let’s play!” as he pulls out his repeating missile launcher.

Jedite turns on the SAMAS chasing him. He leaps, laser blades crackling. Both blades cross the armor as one pierces and one glances off. The SAMAS boosts away at top speed, kicking up dust and grass.

The trapped SAMAS keeps firing at the net. It finally slams against the ground, still pinned inside.

Nick fires at the escaping SAMAS, hitting it square in the back.

Drake fires his pistol at the SAM that hit Lucas and misses. Chris fires at the SAM Jedite slashed and misses. Jedite leaps again and lands behind the SAMAS. Bruce fires at the same target and misses.

Jenna stands, attempting her ability with no effect. The pilot is impossible to see.

Alec brandishes his missile launcher.

Far off, a man runs low through the grass with only his silhouette visible.

Lori turns to Bruce and casts magical armor on him.

The fourth SAMAS dives in, guns blazing. Alec’s force field flares, taking the hit, but barely. The third SAMAS sweeps low and fires at Nick, ripping a chunk of his armor clean off and spinning him sideways.

Chris fires at the fourth SAMAS, yet misses again as Lori fires at the third. Her shot drills into its plating, leaving a molten weld.

Alec fires his missile at the grounded SAMAS. Shrapnel bursts outward, but the unit stays intact, thrusters whining, yet still held within the net.

Chris fires again. This time landing a perfect hit. Smoke billows from the engines… then sputters out, then reignites.

From the grass, the hidden marksman fires a single shot, clean and precise, striking the fleeing SAMAS. It keeps flying away.

Lucas finally gets to his feet and unloads on the grounded SAMAS, blasting it over and over. The pinned pilot looks almost pleading, through holes in his helmet, as the armor buckles under the assault.

Drake watches, smiling grimly, as a sudden pillar of fire engulfs the netted SAMAS. For a moment, there’s only flame and metal... then a wet, gurgling scream as the pilot and armor melt into slag.

He nods at Nick. “That’s how you do it. Make sure they’re not moving.”

Nick exhales. “Well… since you know more about these things, maybe teach me how to make the most of it? What do you say, Drake?”

Drake nods. “Sure. Just keep your eyes open and wait for the moment they’re vulnerable. Cheap, but it works.”

Jenna approaches Lucas. “Want to walk? Talk alone?” Lucas' posture stiffens, his armor mangled, disbelief written across his face.

Jenna’s sixth sense screams. She yanks him sideways, but not fast enough as a burst of rail‑gun rounds tears through Lucas’s armored arm. His scream cuts through the battlefield. Jenna watches his severed arm bounce along the ground.

Bruce fires at the SAMAS that shot Lucas. His blast streaks through the air. Chris fires too, missing by inches. Jedite rolls aside and dives for deeper cover, muttering about not being able to deflect solid rounds.

The heavily damaged SAMAS swoops down, bouncing more rail rounds off Alec’s force field. Alec feels it weakening, knowing one more hit and it’s gone.

Lori casts another magic net at the SAMAS that struck Lucas, but it swoops over the net as it collapses uselessly to the ground.

Alec retaliates, firing another missile. It streaks across the hill and detonates far beyond the SAMAS, blowing a house sized crater into the grass field.

Another shot rings out from the grass, striking the dodging SAMAS in the helmet, leaving no visible damage.

Lucas drops to his knees, staring at his severed arm. Blood pours from the jagged stump, soaking the dirt. He peels off his helmet with his remaining hand, looks at Jenna, face pale and eyes full of tears and shock, “I love you…” he mouths, blood coating his teeth. His helmet falls. He collapses forward, barely catching himself with his good arm.

Drake snaps into action, “Help me save him!” as he pulls out an IRMMS (Internal Robot Medical Support System) kit, unlatches Lucas’s armor, flips him onto his back, elevates the ruined arm, remember his field medical training.

The SAMAS that shot Lucas fires again, this time at Bruce’s feet. Bruce leaps back, firing as he moves, welding into the SAMAS’s front armor plating.

Chris fires at the SAMAS attacking Alec and misses. He questions if his rifle is out of alignment.

The SAMAS launches two rockets toward Lori and Bruce. They dive, but Bruce is too slow. The blast flings him through the air, landing him hard down the hill. Lori rolls up from her dive, NG‑P7 ready.

Alec fires another missile. It corkscrews directly into the SAMAS. Flames engulf it, burning hot and bright.

Another shot from the grass tears away more armor from the SAMAS’s head.

Lucas lies there, staring at Drake and Jenna, oblivious to the battle. He smiles weakly, tears streaming down his face. His skin is pale, lips red with blood. Drake leans close, “Hang in there, kid. You’re stronger than ever now,” as he motions at Nick. “Now’s a good time to use your powers.”

Nick sees the SAMAS Alec hit; already burning with napalm. He smirks, nodding, then concentrates, almost squeezing his eyes shut. He unleashes pure power, supercharging the flames around the burning SAMAS. The sky erupts in a brilliant flare. When the fire dies, nothing remains. No armor. No pilot. No trace.

Chris fires at the third SAMAS; the shot skims over its head. The SAMAS swoops past the others and heads straight for him,, tired of his persistence.

Jedite charges up the hill toward the SAMAS targeting Chris. The SAMAS fires straight through Chris’s position, Chris sidesteps as he casually reloads a short clip.

Throughout the fight, every SAMAS has fired at someone. No one is safe. Lucas barely hears any of it. “...I know…” he whispers, eyes unfocused. Drake tightens the tourniquet. Half of Lucas’s upper armor is stripped away.

Lori, Drake, and Jenna work desperately to keep Lucas alive. Jenna’s psychic diagnosis reveals ruptured arteries across his chest and shoulder. Lori tightens the tourniquet, trying to keep him conscious.

The shots from the grass fall silent.

Jedite launches himself into the air, launching an arc of motion so fast the last SAMAS barely registers it. His blades crackle, slicing through the weapon arm in a single stroke. Before the pilot can react, Jedite twists mid‑air and cleaves the power armor clean in half at the abdomen. It drops in three pieces behind him, skidding across the grass like broken machinery tossed aside by a storm.

Farther out, the hidden shooter fires again. His shots erupting from the field at the retreating SAMAS. But the fleeing unit out‑ranges every attempt. The last pilot may live to fight another day.

Meanwhile, Jenna kneels beside Lucas, hands trembling as she attempts psychic surgery. Her fingers sink into his chest as though pushing through thick clay. Lori watches, horrified, as Jenna realizes Lucas is already unconscious, slipping closer to death.

The battle fades into aftermath as Jenna works for ten agonizing minutes, suturing ruptured vessels with raw psionic precision. Lucas’s arm is gone. Only a stump remains, but his vitals stabilize. He’s unconscious, but alive.

Bruce lies nearby, knocked out cold from his airborne tumble. His armor is wrecked, ribs bruised, but he’ll survive.

Nick hovers between worry and adrenaline, concerned for Bruce, but still buzzing from his first napalm kill.

Alec glances at the hovercycles. With Lucas down, there’s one too many.

Drake gently lowers Lucas to the ground and looks around at the battered group. “Let’s tally what we’ve got,” he says, voice steady despite the chaos. He empties his pockets and pack, revealing grenades, an NG‑P7 and a pistol that he dumps into the grass.

Chris breaks it first, “I’ve got my JA‑11, a laser pistol, two vibro‑blades, grenades, e‑clips… that’s it besides personal stuff,” as he nods toward Jenna, still elbow‑deep in Lucas’s psychic surgery. “While she’s busy with his innards, why don’t you tell me why you’re at war with the Chrome?”

Drake exhales, the weight of years settling on his shoulders. “They’ve hated the Blue Angels forever. Started long before I was in charge. They’re all human, with no psionics, no magic. Coalition sympathizers. They always have better weapons, but we’ve always had better intelligence,” as h scans the group, reading the exhaustion in every face.

Jedite drops to the ground, legs crossed, meditating. It’s the only way he can help right now.

Nick lifts his rifle. “I’ve got my NG‑P7, four clips, a knife, an old eastern blade, a Northern Gun super laser pistol and a grenade launcher. We need to stop at the next town. We’re running low.”

Jenna wipes sweat from her brow. “I’ve got a Wilk’s with one clip and a vibro‑knife.”

Lucas lies unconscious, stabilized but fragile. Nick decides to practice with his sword, until Jedite watches him for three seconds, smirks, and stands. He heads toward Lori.
oO(Maybe I can bag another deer. And where’s that mystery shooter…)Oo

Lori nods. Jedite’s presence means fewer surprises. She suggests swinging by the ley line while they hunt. But before they can leave, the grass in the field begins to move. The movement shifts, angles toward the group. A tall man rises from the grass, walking straight toward them.

Drake glances at Lori and Jedite. “Hold up. Didn’t we bring enough meat from last night? Or did someone forget it?” He shrugs, “Anyway… let’s meet our new friend.”

The man carries a JA‑11 Juicer rifle with casual confidence.

Drake nods. “Welcome, friend. And thanks for the help.”

The man nods back. “Name’s Atreides.”

Jenna narrows her eyes. “Where did you come from?”

Drake shoots her a look. “Nice to meet someone willing to stand against the Coalition with us.”

Nick stops training and packs up, “We’ve still got half a day. Let’s move. We can talk on the way.”

Lori adjusts her gear. “I still want to hit the ley line for a bit. I’ll parallel you... just don’t wander too far.”

Atreides agrees, “If the CS hears about missing SAMAS units, they’ll swarm this place.”

Drake gathers Bruce and Lucas, “Alright, who’s carrying who? We need Lucas somewhere safe.”

Lori and Jedite head toward the ley line. The rest follow the jeep tracks. Not long after, Lori and Jedite rejoin the group, knowing that the group got turned around, Lori states, "We're headed for Ann Arbor. Known as New Lazlo to some. I'm familiar with the place. Just odd that we're so far off track."

Drake's face fades to disappointment, "Well, I guess. Something must have happened at that ley line."
*********************************
The sudden shift in location somewhat disorients everyone, yet, knowing that Ann Arbor isn't far away offers a small relief.

“So… you’re with us, I take it, eh?” Drake asks.

Atreides nods once. “Yes. For the moment. My name is Atreides Tolkeen. I am a Dai‑Amon.” Drake perks up at the mention of Tolkeen.

Jenna brightens, trying to keep the tension from creeping back in. “You’re with us, right? I’m Jenna Page, Blue Angels. Nice to meet you.”

Nick steps forward. “You’ve come a long way from Tolkeen. Looking for something?”

Atreides shakes his head. “No. Just wandering. We should get moving.”

Nick grimaces. “Yeah… you’re right. I doubt we’d survive another battle like that.”

Atreides gestures toward Lucas. “If you need help carrying your injured friend, let me know.” Then he waves and heads toward Ann Arbor.

The group follows Nick into New Lazlo. As they near the edge of the city, armed men stand at attention along the street, watching them approach. Behind them, four unarmored men wait... one unmistakably a cyber‑knight, radiating discipline and authority.

Most buildings are single‑story. People peek out from windows as the battered group passes.

Bruce stirs awake with a groan. “Oh shit… my head. What happened?”

“Quiet,” Drake snaps, then moves to Nick. “They’re expecting us. Something’s going on.”

The cyber‑knight steps forward. “State your business in our peaceful town.”

Nick raises his voice. “We’re just passing through. We need supplies, maybe a place to stay. And our friend needs medical help, badly. Please, sir. We mean no harm.”

The knight turns. “You may stay outside the town while we take him in for healing. By nightfall, you may retrieve him.”

Nick tries again, desperation creeping in. “We ran into Coalition SAMAS... that’s why we’re beat up. We’re explorers, not bandits. I’ll even give you my weapons.” as he drops them onto the cobblestones.

From a nearby bar, Michael, known as Champion, watches. He can’t hear the words, but the intent is clear; weapons surrendered, heads bowed, exhaustion written across every face. They need help. He sets down his apple juice, stands, and strides outside toward the knight. “Why don’t I take care of our visitors while you ask the Council? We’ll be at the bar. I’ll make sure they don’t cause trouble.”

The cyber‑knight looks impatient but nods. “Wait here. I will ask the council if you may enter unarmed. You will be screened for psychic and magical talent. Bring the lad here.” He points at Lucas.

Lori steps forward. “Out of curiosity… why do you think we’re bandits?”

Champion studies them, noticing battered armor, Blue Angel colors, faces scraped raw by battle. He knows who they are. And he knows they’re not the threat. He nods, “You will be watched. I cannot promise many of you will be allowed further.”

Chris steps forward, eyes locked on the knight. “Is this what you want? Coalition overrunning your town because you refused to help? You’re a D‑bee lover and you didn’t let us capture the man working against them.”

Champion steps between them before the knight can respond. “Enough. Both of you made your point.” He turns to the knight. “New Lazlo is supposed to be safe. One man claiming psychics attacked him doesn’t mean we accuse every passerby. You owe me a debt. I’m calling it in. You will do everything in your power to let them stay and hunt this man. I’ll help them. Now go.” He turns to the group. “Follow me.”

Chris mutters, “We have good reason to believe the man you let in works with the Coalition. We could find him before he reports back. One message and your town is gone.”

Lori shoots him a glare. “Ignore his rudeness. The only people we’re pursuing are Coalition‑linked terrorists responsible for deaths and property damage in Northern Gun. We’re contracted to bring them in. And yes... they had Skelebots.” Her tone hardens. She turns on Chris, “And what does it matter what they think of D‑bees? Our quarry is human. What’s your problem with D‑bees?”

Chris frowns. “Close to CS territory… one report and this place is gone. And I used to trust D‑bees until my friends in Old Bones sold me to the black market.” He nods at Champion. “Any Juicer bar around here?”

Atreides steps forward. “Champion, you seem to know the town. Do you have a map?”

Champion nods, pulling a crude map from his belt. “Most visitors ask. Here.”

Jedite bows slightly. “Thank you, friend. I am Jedite, blades master. I am in your debt. Let’s begin the search... we’ve wasted enough time. And I agree with Lori. Nothing wrong with D‑bees.” He side‑eyes Chris.

Champion smiles. “A blades master? Impressive. And yes, I believe all races will live in peace someday.” He raises his voice. “I apologize for the misunderstanding. That knight is too by‑the‑book. I’m Sir Michael Sharr, most call me Champion. I’ll help you search. First stop, a hotel. See if he checked in.”

Nick gestures forward. “Lead on, my friend. If you ever need help, just ask. How many hotels are there?”

Drake asks, “How long ago did he pass through?”

Champion replies, “Hours before you arrived.”

He leads them to an inn. Nick leans on the counter. “Got rooms? What’s the cost? We’re staying the night, right?” looking back at his friends.

Champion nods. “Some of you need rest. Those who can help, come with me. Six hours of daylight left.”

Atreides asks the clerk, “Any cyber‑shops around?”

“Next to the convenience store,” the clerk says.

Atreides nods to Drake, “Take care. I have business in the city,” as he leaves.

The clerk continues, “Rooms are 100 credits for four people, or 75 per person. How many staying?”

Chris asks, “Can we get a room in the middle of the night?”

"Yes."

Lori sighs. “So much for a hot bath. At least we get real beds. Three four‑person rooms; two for the guys, one for us ladies. Jenna, you’ll want to stay with Lucas.”

Jedite steps forward. “I won’t need a room. I’m not used to sleeping indoors. I can help Bruce before I go.” He places a hand on Bruce’s head, his pain visibly fades.

Nick nods, amazed, “Thanks for helping Bruce. If you want, leave your stuff in my room. No need to carry it all over town.”

Michael finally shoos away the guards shadowing the group, then returns with the calm authority of someone who knows the town is watching, “Let’s get your injured teammates into their rooms. After that, we track this man. By the way… does anyone actually know his name?”

Nick pauses mid‑step. “Good question. What is his name? I don’t know it.” He turns to the clerk. “Thanks for the extra keys. So, who needs one?” He dangles them like a teacher handing out hall passes.

Bruce perks up immediately. “I’ll take one!”

Drake raises a hand without shame. “Same here.”

Nick tosses keys to both of them. “I’m checking out the rooms.” He heads upstairs, gear clattering lightly as he goes.

Michael looks at the rest of the Blue Angels. “If you’ve been fighting the Chrome this long, and this guy is their leader… you should at least know his handle.”

Chris nudges Drake. “I’ve got a few things to do in town. I’ll see you at the bar. If not, then tomorrow morning.” He turns to leave, already scanning for a weapon shop.

He barely gets five steps before Champion blocks his path, “Hold on,” his voice cuts through the hallway, “There’s a dangerous psycho killer loose in my town. You wanted entrance so you could hunt him down. Now that you have permission, you’re just wandering off?” He turns to the group, frustration and urgency mixing in his expression, “I know you’re tired. I know you’re hurt. But we need to find this man before he brings the Coalition here. I’m not ordering you… I’m asking you. Please help me hunt him. Who’s with me?”

The plea hangs in the air as Lori mutters under her breath, “I’m going to regret this…” Then louder: “I’ll help.”

Nick steps forward. “I’ll help too. Hell, that’s why we came here. But we shouldn’t move as one big group. We split up, cover more ground. If someone finds him, trust me... everyone will know when things go loud. Then we close in and nail him to the ground.” He walks toward the door, glancing back. “Champion, where do we start? Bars? Clubs? Other hotels? Streets?”

The trio heads out, leaving Chris, Jedite, Bruce, Lucas, Drake, Alec, and Jenna behind.

Drake breaks the silence. “I’m glad they’re enthusiastic. But I can already see the flaw. I bet the fool we’re chasing already left.”

A phone rings at the front desk. The attendant answers, then looks at them. “Phone call for either the Blue Angel leader, Jenna, or Chris Valée.”

Chris steps forward. “Name’s Valée. I’ll take it.” He grabs the receiver.

Jenna leans in, trying to catch the voice. The caller sounds feral, unhinged. “Ahh… our famed hire-on. Is everything in turmoil yet? Good to know we have a town full of scholars running about.” Chris stiffens... this isn’t Gruber. It’s one of the psi‑hounds. “Tonight, there’ll be more for them. Now… which rooms did everyone take? Just state the numbers…”

Chris replies loudly, distracted, “Could you speak up? There’s a lot of noise!”

Jenna straightens. “That’s strange. You think the leader’s checking if we’re here? If so, he might already be getting back on the road.”

Drake groans. “We need everyone’s armor repaired first.”

Chris pockets his gear, hanging the up the phone, “I’ve got things to do. I’ll look for them on my own. I’ll meet you here tomorrow.” He leaves.

Jenna lifts her saddle bags. “I need to drop these off. Which room is Lori in?”

Drake thinks. “Room three, I think…”

Jedite slips out silently. Once outside, he leaps to the rooftops, sprinting along them toward the edge of town. He circles New Lazlo like a silver shadow, checking the perimeter, tracking his friends, hoping to spot any Coalition movement.

Drake and Alec notice his disappearance. That leaves Drake, Lucas, Jenna, and Alec in the lobby.

“Is the door open or do I need a key?” Jenna asks.

“Check Lori’s stuff,” Drake says.

Jenna laughs softly. “Smart idea.” She rifles through Lori’s bags until she finds a key.

The tension lingers; the kind that says the real hunt hasn’t even begun yet.************************************
Atreides steps into the cyber‑shop, the sterile lights humming overhead. “Do you have cyber‑armor and retractable vibro‑blades? If so, how much, and how long would installation take?”

The cyber‑doc peers at him over tiny spectacles, sizing him up like a mechanic inspecting a high‑performance engine. “About a hundred thousand credits. That what you’re after?”

“Yes,” Atreides says, then lifts his arm, tracing a line from his forearm down to his knuckle. “And one more thing. Can you graft cyber‑armor along here?”

The doc’s eyebrows rise. “Custom work? Yeah, we can do that. When do you want to start?” He gives a knowing wink.

“Is right now okay? Or do you have someone else scheduled?”

“Nope. I can take you now.” He gestures toward a curtained alcove. “Go to the changing room, strip down, then head into the OR.” He points at a stainless‑steel table gleaming under surgical lamps. “Any pre‑existing conditions I should know about?”

“No,” Atreides replies, already unfastening his gear, “Let’s begin. I just don’t want any surprises when I wake up,” then disappears into the changing room, then steps into the operating room, bare‑skinned and resolute.

The doctor hands him a small bottle of pills. “Take one. It’ll keep you under for the duration.” Atreides swallows it without hesitation.

Then the doc hands him a mask. “This will knock you out completely. Breathe into it and count backward from one hundred.”

Atreides places the mask over his face. The chemical scent hits instantly. The doctor slips into the adjacent room, gathering tools, cyber‑armor weave, and surgical rigs.

Atreides inhales.
Ninety‑nine.
Ninety‑eight.
Ninety‑seven…

He reaches seventy‑three before the world folds inward and vanishes.
"I plan to live forever. Or die trying..." Vila - Blakes 7
User avatar
Chaser1
Administrator
Posts: 1708
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:38 pm
Contact:

I&C - Chapter 2 - The Chase - Part 2

Post by Chaser1 »

Nick’s instincts kick in first. He knows that the man they’re hunting is smart, slippery, and absolutely the type to hide somewhere crowded.

“He’ll be at a bar,” Champion says, already moving. The trio follows him through the streets at a brisk pace, tension rising with every step. They reach the Lazlo Lounge; a dim, smoky dive where the lights flicker and the air tastes like stale cigarettes. Only four patrons linger inside. Two sit at the bar, amongst a row of seven mismatched stools. The tables are cracked, wobbling on uneven legs. Electronic dance music pulses faintly from battered speakers. Two pool tables dominate the center, and a wall of generator‑powered slot machines hums as two patrons lose their money.

The bartender is a burly old man with a long mustache and pepper‑gray hair. He polishes a shot glass and watches the trio enter with a look that says he’s seen trouble before... and expects it again.

Nick approaches. “How’s it going? We’re looking for someone new in town. Beat up. Came in earlier today. Seen anyone?”

The bartender’s eyes narrow. “You look new. You here to drink and socialize… or conduct a census?”

Champion steps forward, nodding. The bartender recognizes him instantly, “You’re the new cyber‑knight, eh? Why don’t you repair and protect my bar while you’re in town?”

Champion leans in, voice low and dangerous. “If you don’t answer my friend’s question, I won’t be able to protect your bar when the criminal we’re hunting reports to the Coalition. When they show up, they’ll take your job… and probably execute you.” His voice drops even lower. “So answer him.”

The two patrons at the bar stand abruptly, turning toward them.

Nick shifts his stance, ready. “Come on, you little bitches. Show me what you got.”

The larger man cracks his neck, then his knuckles, and strides toward Nick. He throws a heavy jab, but Nick slips back, then snaps forward with a quick counter‑punch. The man reels. Nick grabs him, drives a knee into his face, then rolls forward and springs up with a brutal uppercut that sends the man crashing to the floor.

The drunk staggers back up, wild and bleeding. He swings a sloppy haymaker that somehow connects with Nick’s forehead, staggering him. The man grins through blood‑smeared teeth and tries to punt Nick. Even with Nick’s speed, the kick lands. Nick slams into a barstool, the wind knocked out of him, and slides to the floor.

The big man looms over him, but makes the mistake of letting Nick rise. Nick doesn’t stand fully. Instead, he leans back and launches a vicious sidekick straight into the man’s chin. A sickening crack echoes as jaw and teeth shatter.

The drunk’s friend watches with a smile, hands tucked inside his leather jacket.

Nick wipes blood from his brow. “Who you smiling at? You want some too?”

The man sneers. “I’m smiling at a DEAD man!” A thin beam of light erupts from inside his jacket, scorching Nick’s cyber‑armor. The man’s eyes widen. “What the hell? You survived!” as he bolts for the door.

Nick turns to the bartender. “Back door?”

“Yeah... over there.” The bartender points at a door riddled with holes.

“Thanks.” Nick sprints through it.

Champion watches him go oO(Any other time, I’d stop him… but times are desperate. He can handle himself)Oo He turns to Lori. “Let’s get back to the inn.”

Inside, Champion asks the clerk, “We’re looking for someone wearing chrome armor. Did he check in?”

The clerk barely looks up. “Try the weapons and armor shops.”

They head out again.

“We’ll wait here for Nick,” Champion says once they're outside. “When he arrives, we’ll search the shops.”

Lori sighs. “Too bad the Chrome leader's not into magic. I could mix business with pleasure and check out the magic shops. Still, we can compare armor prices for the guys.”

Champion nods, abandoning the idea of waiting for Nick, and leads her down a series of streets. They reach one of the shops and step inside…

The hunt continues.
******************************************************
Atreides wakes up naked and alone. He feels heavy with the implanted armor. The new cyber‑armor grafted beneath his skin feels like lead. His gear sits neatly beside the table while the air around him reeks of rot. Not the faint smell of antiseptic or metal. Death. Thick, pungent, clinging to the back of his throat.

He forces himself upright, vision swimming from anesthesia. His new wrist vibro‑blades hum when he tests them; a sound far too clean for a room that feels so wrong. He dresses quickly, grabs his gear, and follows the smell.

The main lobby is a graveyard.

The streets outside the shattered windows are charred black, as if firestorms rolled through. A body lies near the doorway all twisted, rotting and half‑melted. It might have been the doctor. It might have been someone else. But the decay is weeks old… and Atreides was only supposed to be under for hours.

He stumbles, shaking off the lingering fog. Behind him, three corpses lie on operating tables; each one freshly augmented with cybernetics or bionics. Their skin is pale. Their eyes are open. Their surgeries are recent. Their deaths are not.

The silence presses in. A crumpled sheet of paper skitters across the floor, carried by a warm, unnatural breeze. oO(How long was I asleep?)Oo

He steps outside. The air is sickly warm. The sky is orange, but not sunset orange, but wrong orange, streaked with red energy crackling like lightning veins. As he approaches the Inn, he finds it flattened. Not burned, but flattened as if something erased it from existence.

“What the hell happened here…” he whispers.

He searches the rubble, salvaging anything useful; money, weapons, scraps of gear. Most of the currency looks foreign, unfamiliar. He pockets it anyway.

Only the cyber‑doc’s building remains standing. Everything else is rubble.

Above him, the orange sky ripples. Waves of energy roll and fold, gathering outside the town. They twist together, forming something unmistakable... a ley line, but warped, unstable, pulsing like a living wound.

He reaches the remains of the armor shop. Nothing is left, not even armor, weapons, or even bodies; just dust and debris.

He runs back to the cyber‑shop. Inside, a radio crackles from a back room, being the only sound in the dead town.

“The death toll is rising. These anomalous energy barriers are annihilating some of our biggest populaces! There are still two warheads in transit!” The woman’s voice trembles, barely holding together.

oO(I hope those warheads aren’t headed this way…)Oo He looks out the window at the orange sky, oO(Or they already hit… and I somehow survived.)Oo

A sound splits the air like a tearing, ripping shriek. A rift opens nearby, its edges flickering like burning paper. He bolts toward it.

The city is a maze of destruction with torn concrete, ruptured pipes, sparking wires dangling from broken poles. He ducks, leaps, slides, racing toward the edge of town. The forming ley lines glow brighter, humming with unstable power.

The Rift stands before him as a vertical wound in reality. No creatures move through it. No light shines beyond it. Just endless and absolute darkness.

The land all around is flattened for miles. There are no trees, building or even life visible. Even the hills beyond are gone. He stands in stunned horror. The air is too warm. oO(It’s the only way out.)Oo

He looks up. Two ICBM‑style tactical warheads streak overhead, leaving burning trails across the sky.

He inhales deep, holds it and leaps into the Rift...

*********************************************************
Chris runs to a place that he believes is a weapons shop. He walks in. The man in armor just smiles, "What can I do for you today?"

"I need clips to be recharge and do you any juicer plate armor?" Chris asks him.

"Ok tell him that the number is" Chris tells the room number, " and to meet me tonight at the juicer bar. When the clips will be ready?"

The man nods and stops for a second, "I do believe that he has already left the place."
"The place? the city?" Chris asks him.
*******************************************************
A few blocks from the Inn, Nick hears a phone ringing from a telephone booth. There’s no one else around. No pedestrians. No cars. Just a lonely booth shrilling like it’s desperate for attention.

Nick sighs, glances around, then picks up the receiver. “Yes, hello. Who is this speaking?”

A raspy whisper slithers through the line. “Nicholas, I assume. How’s your butt‑buddy Bruce? Hehehehe…”

Nick blinks. “…What?”

A pause. Then the voice continues, dramatic and smug. “I’m the only one left in this town if you want to find me. You won’t win, my friend.”

Click.

Nick stares at the receiver for a moment, frowning like someone who just answered a prank call from a cryptid. He hangs up and keeps walking, scanning the street for anyone suspiciously holding a phone.

He eventually reaches a library; a massive one, filled mostly with fiction. He wanders through shelves until he finds a non-fiction book on human genetic engineering. He brings it to the librarian.

“Is there anyone in town skilled in genetic engineering?”

“Yes,” she says, smiling a little too brightly. She finds him very handsome. She gives him directions to a doctor named Centak. Nick thanks her and walks off, leaving her visibly disappointed.

Nick arrives at a medium‑sized white house and knocks. The door swings open to reveal a man in strange robes, deep sea‑green eyes glaring down at him. His posture screams I woke up annoyed and stayed that way.

“What do you want?”

“I heard you know genetics. I was hoping you could help me with a little problem.”

The man folds his arms. “And what is your little problem?”

“I want to be stronger, faster, and have the reflexes of a cat.”

The man raises an eyebrow. “I need good funding for that. Or at least a better reason than ‘I have a problem’ to do favors for someone I’ve never met.”

Nick leans in, pitching like a salesman who’s had just enough caffeine. “It’d be a great chance to test your skills. A field study! You could join our group, travel the land, learn new things. I’d pay you.”

Payment perks Dr. Centak’s interest... but only slightly. He sits and has a conversation about the process as eventually the conversation drifts to talking about Jedite. Eventually, he waves Nick off. “Come back another time. I’m busy.”

Nick shrugs and decides to look for Jedite while he waits.
*******************************************
Jenna steps into Lori’s room and pauses. It’s surprisingly cozy with two neatly made beds, a small table with a phone, and a window overlooking New Lazlo. For a moment, it feels almost normal.

Then the phone rings.

She sets her saddle bags on the bed, picks up the receiver, and answers with exaggerated professionalism. “Lori’s room, how may I help you?” She waits, expecting maybe a clerk or Champion.

Instead, a raspy whisper crawls through the line, “Hello there, Jenna… One of you dies tonight. Beware.”

Click.

Jenna stares at the phone for a beat, then smirks like someone who refuses to give a creep the satisfaction. She walks back into the lobby. “Hey,” she announces loudly, “can anyone tell me which one of us is going to die? If it’s you, can I have your stuff?”

Everyone turns and stares at her like she’s malfunctioning.

She shrugs. “Some guy with a bad cold or something called and said one of us is gonna die tonight. Just thought I’d share. And if one of you jokers is pranking me? If I find out… you might actually be the one who dies!”

She pauses, then grins. “Kidding! Totally kidding. No need to go psycho. But seriously... if any of you do die, can I have your stuff?”

Bruce steps forward, confusion plastered across his face. “I heard the phone ring. Is that… actually what he said? Or are you joking?”

“Would I lie to you?”

Bruce squints. “Which part would you lie about? The ‘just kidding’ part, or the part about someone threatening us? Because I wouldn’t joke about that.”

Drake glances up at her with a blank expression, then goes right back to whatever he was writing, as if this is just another Tuesday.

Jenna sighs. “Okay, fine. I wasn’t kidding about the call. Someone really said one of us is gonna die tonight. But I was kidding about killing you. I wouldn’t do that. Besides, Lucas might be the one because he can’t defend himself. Wouldn’t surprise me.” She gestures vaguely, “But if it’s someone else, maybe start contacting the others? Let them know Creepy Mac'Phonecall is making threats. Alright? Alright.” She exhales. “I’m tired.”

Nick walks in from outside, “Anyone know where Jedite went? I need to find him.”

Alec looks up from cleaning his gear. “I don’t know. But maybe we should stick together. We just got death threats from our Chrome friends. Best not to wander off.”

The room settles into a tense quiet; the kind where everyone pretends they’re fine, but no one really is.

******************************************************
Atreides drifts in cold, endless blackness. He can breathe, somehow, but the air tastes stale, heavy, touched by the faint scent of death. His feet feel suspended and weightless. He can't see anything… not even himself. He can't tell if he is falling or rising, or simply floating in a void that has no direction at all. Time stretches. Minutes or hours... he can’t tell.

Then, far ahead, a red glow appears. It doesn’t move. It doesn’t flicker. It simply exists; always ahead of him, no matter which way he turns. Yet he still can't see his own form, not even a silhouette.

He tries to swim toward it, pushing through the darkness. The glow shifts. Red becomes orange. The void thins. Light presses against his eyelids. He opens his eyes.

The doctor stands above him, smiling faintly, framed by surgical lights that halo his head like a ghostly crown. The room feels too bright after the blackness.

Atreides rubs his sore and burning arms, then tries to sit up. Pain shoots through him. The doctor’s expression hardens, “I had to confiscate your armor to help pay for your new implants,” he says. “You can collect it later.”

Atreides finally manages to sit, then stand. His movements feel sluggish, as though the void still clings to him. He dresses slowly, checking each piece of gear, each graft, each blade.

“When can I get my armor back?” he asks.

The doctor folds his hands. “My boy… it’s approximately one hundred thousand credits.”

Atreides pulls out his UI card and hands it over. The doctor runs it, nods, and smiles with quiet approval.

Still aching, still unsettled, Atreides steps out of the operating room and begins the slow, painful walk back toward the Inn, uncertain whether the darkness he escaped was a dream, a vision… or something waiting for him still.
**************************************************
As Lori and Champion step into the weapons shop, the hum of charging stations and the clatter of metal greet them. Chris is already at the counter, collecting new armor fittings and freshly recharged clips. Lori gives him a brief nod, then moves on.

Champion approaches the clerk. “I’m looking for a man in chrome armor. Has he been through here?”

The clerk glances up from his inventory checklist. “Not recently. Anything else you need?”

Champion studies him. “You said recently. So he has been here?”

“I’m not sure,” the clerk replies. “Plenty of people come in with shiny armor. Chrome armor, though? Haven’t seen it.”

Champion exhales. “Any rumors? Anything that might point to where he went?”

“No. Now... are either of you buying something?”

Lori steps forward. “What are your prices for recharging e‑clips?”

The clerk brightens immediately. “Special rate! Four thousand universal credits per clip. How many do you want done?”

Chris pockets his charged clips. “Thanks. Good doing business with you. Which way to the nearest juicer bar? Been too long on the road.”

While the clerk answers as Champion browses the shelves. Coalition dead boy armor sits on display, which is unexpected in a place like this. Beside it, juicer assassin plate. The contrast is almost comical. Rows of unfamiliar energy weapons line the wall, each from a different manufacturer. A small rack offers passes to view the local armory, twenty credits apiece.

Lori drifts through the CS and NG weapons, mentally noting what Alec might want. She buys two armory passes and checks the armor prices.

“If you’re searching for someone,” the clerk finally says, “try the slums.”

Champion nods, thanks him, and steps outside to wait for Lori.
******************************************
Atreides arrives at the hotel to see the ensuing conversation with Alec and Nick.

"Well, I'm gonna go look for him anyways so don't bother looking for me." Nick tries to leave again.

Atreides stops him, "Let me join you. They probably don't know about me since I just joined up with you and your friends. They won't know who I am or what I'm doing. It's the perfect cover!"

"Sorry, my friend, no ones safe, not even you. Just stay here and watch out for Bruce and Lucas and the lady, would ya." Nick frowns.

Jenna walks forward, "I'm going to come with you, he called me too. So you're not the only one, besides, I don't think it's a good idea going alone but if you won't let me go with you, then I'll just go by myself too. So what do ya say? Will you let me help you?"

"Well if your going to head out on your own anyways you better stick with me. If the group lost you, it'd be a great loss." Nick waves her along, "Well let's go then."

They both leave, ignoring Atreides, to his disdain.

Jenna and Nick arrive at the next hotel. The desk clerk looks up and smiles, "Well well well... what can I do for YOU two?" He seems like a teenager that got lucky enough to land the job.

"Well you could," Nick looks back at Jenna, a horrible idea pops into his head, "Nah, never mind. Just tell me where this guy named Champion went and the girl."

The clerk doesn't know. Then Jenna adds, "Didn't they say they were going to the weapons shop?" Nick shakes his head, embarrassed. They both leave.

They spot Champion outside of the shop, "Hey! What're you guys doing? Nick pauses, "Well, whatever it is, it can wait. Let's go! We need to head back to the Inn."

OOC: A large portion of my emails were lost to oblivion so there is a gap here.

Champion pops his head into the shop, "Did you find anything you'd like to buy?"

Lori glances back, "Any luck?" Then nods to the clerk, "For the moment, I believe a friend of mine will be interested in your wares," and smiles.

Champion nods to the clerk, "Thank you for your time. Have a nice day."

Nick waits with Jenna as they come back out, "Man! What's taking you guys so long? Lets go, damn! We don't have all day, you know."

All four head back to the Inn.
************************************************************
Alec, Atreides, Chris, Bruce, and Drake linger in the New Lazlo Inn & Suites lobby as the sky outside darkens.

Bruce folds his arms. “Roll call. Who are we missing now?”

Drake yawns so hard it looks like his soul tries to escape. “Jedite, Nick, Jenna, Champion... whatever his name is, and Lori.” He wanders over to Lucas, still unconscious and notably short one arm. “Why? What’s rattling around in that head of yours?”

Bruce shrugs. “Just thinking it was idiotic for those two to run off alone.”

Atreides snorts. “Idiotic is their brand. They didn’t want us tagging along. They’re basically offering someone a free chance to fry their asses with a laser. And honestly… I really don’t give a shit.”

Chris leans back, rubbing his temples. “Speaking of idiotic, what’s your impression of… uh… what’s his name… Loser… no wait… Champion? Champion of what, exactly? Bragging?” He strikes Champion’s dramatic pose, chin up, chest out, heroic nonsense radiating off him like cheap cologne.

Alec stifles a laugh. Atreides doesn’t bother.
******************************************************
The four heroes are halfway down the street when a sharp, metallic hum slices through the air, like energy sliding free of metal. They turn.

A tall figure steps out of the shadows, draped in green‑and‑black robes. Short, dark hair. Faintly glowing green eyes. And in his hands are two emerald laser blades, eerily similar to Jedite’s silver ones. He walks forward with the calm confidence of someone who expects the world to get out of his way.

Champion and Jenna both feel their stomachs drop as Nick starts toward him.
oO(What the hell is this guy doing with Jedite’s blades? Someone’s about to get their ass kicked.)Oo

Lori grabs Nick’s arm. “Have you seen what Jedite does with those? You really want to get within arm’s reach of this guy?”

The robed man coolly smiles. His blades launch from his hands, spinning toward Nick like living weapons. Nick doesn’t flinch. White‑hot flames erupt around him, turning the street into a furnace. “Get the hell out of here! NOW! I’ll take this jackass!” Something about the man feels… familiar.

The stranger recalls one blade mid‑flight and leaps, straight up to the nearest rooftop.

Champion’s instincts scream. He ducks just as something shoves him hard from behind. He hits the ground, realizing the push would’ve thrown a lesser man straight into Nick’s firestorm. Jenna rushes over, helping him up. He nods. “Thanks.” He taps an alarm on his belt.

The second blade reaches Nick... then its handle disintegrates, the laser sputtering out. Nick’s flames vanish as he scans the rooftops. “Man! What the hell was that?”

Above them, the sound of clashing laser blades echoes like thunder.

Nick bolts for the building. oO(Not letting a damn coward get away)Oo “Why can’t they ever make this easy?!”

Champion draws his laser pistol and vibro‑knife. oO(Blade Masters are dangerous. And this one probably has goons waiting to jump us)Oo He shouts, “Nick will handle the Blade Master! We keep civilians safe and watch for backup. Eyes open!”

Lori shakes her head as Nick scrambles for a way up. “His impetuousness is going to get him killed one day.” She slips into the shadows, murmuring a spell, vanishing, and levitates toward the roof.

Nick charges into the apartment building across the street, sprinting up the stairs. He reaches the roof door, which is light blue metal, and hears the crackling clash of laser swords beyond it.

He kicks it open. “Ready or not, here I come!”

Jedite and the rogue Blade Master whirl across the rooftop, their blades painting the night with neon arcs. Sparks fly as the heat hums. Their duel looks like a deadly glowstick rave.

Nick stops, mesmerized, oO(Why interfere? Two Masters fighting; honor says let them finish.)Oo Still, he can’t help shouting, “Jedite! Kick his ass!”

The rogue suddenly flips backward, as Jedite is launched backwards by an invisible force. He grabs the ledge, vaults after him, landing with him on the next rooftop.

Nick leaps too... barely making it, wobbling on the edge. “I got his ass! Everything under control!” He whispers, “I hope…” Then sees they’ve jumped again. He groans.

Invisible Lori glides after them, preparing a magic net. She lands just yards from the dueling blades. Both fighters seem to sense her as she casts.

They split, leaping twenty feet apart, hurling their swords. The blades collide mid‑air, sparking inches from Lori.

Nick jumps again... misses, and crashes hard onto a fire escape. “Whew! Damn…” He ignores the pain and scrambles upward. “Damn! What is this shit?!”

Lori fires a firebolt, scorching the rogue’s armor and punching a hole through it.

Nick reaches the roof, scanning for the source. “Hey! You want some help?!”

Jedite glances at Nick, just in time to be slammed off the roof by another invisible force. Nick and Lori both know no normal human survives a fall like that.

Nick snarls, “Now you’ve done it, you dumb son of a bitch!” He hurls fireballs... missing wildly.

Down below, Drake and the crew arrive, drawn by the chaos. Jenna and Champion fire upward, also missing.

Stray shots blast chunks out of the street and nearby buildings. Debris rains down as the rogue Blade Master runs straight through it, unfazed, and vanishes into the night.

Invisible Lori winces at the destruction.

Nick tosses a rifle down to Jenna. She catches it smoothly. “Thanks. Now what?”

“You’re welcome. Good question.” Nick thinks. “We’ve got three options: head back to the Inn, look for Jedite, or split up and search.”

Champion shakes his head. “I hate to admit it, but I’m no match for a Blade Master. You search the city. I’ll head back to the Inn.” He leaves.

Jenna turns to Nick. “Let’s get moving, aye? Where first?”

Lori reappears. “We can’t beat that guy. He’s too fast. And splitting up is suicide. Let’s head back to the hotel. I need my particle beam. Maybe Jedite will show.”

Jenna shrugs. “Alright. We’ll wait and see.” She joins the group. “Back to the hotel.”

Nick climbs down from the roof. oO(If he’s not there, I’m going out to find him.)Oo
************************************
Back at the Inn…

Nick scans the lobby, shoulders sinking. “Damn. He’s not here either.” He rubs his face. “So what do we do now?” He doesn’t wait for an answer and just heads straight to the bar. “Whatever we’re doing, it can wait. I need a drink.”

The bartender slides him a gin and tonic. “There you are, sir.” Nick pays, barely acknowledging him, and wanders off with the glass.

Jenna checks on Lucas, adjusting his blanket, watching his breathing.

Nick slips out the side door, glancing over his shoulder to make sure no one follows. Around the corner, he finds Jedite sitting against the wall, nursing a wound. The sight stops him cold.

Jedite looks up and grins like he’s been expecting him. “Hey. What the hell are you doing out here?”

Nick kneels beside him. “You’re hurt. Let me help.” He reaches for the wound. “Where’d that other guy go? That was some badass sword fighting. Maybe you could teach me sometime? My sensei always said, ‘Keep an open mind and never limit yourself to one style.’ So what do you say? After we deal with that guy and the Chrome, would you take me on as your student?”

Jedite lowers his gaze, smiling faintly. “One thing at a time. I don’t know where he went. His sword chased me for a while, but I got away. He might be better than me.” The cut looks serious until Jedite closes his eyes and the wound seals itself.

“I’m not a master yet,” he continues. “My master still has to finish training me. You fight with a more primitive style. I’ve seen you practice. Training takes a lifetime. You think you can handle that?” His eyes glow faintly, casting their own light.

Nick smirks. “If our styles are similar, I’ve got a head start. So when do we start?”

Jedite doesn’t answer. He just stares at the ground.

Nick sighs. “We should check in with the others before they come looking.”

Jedite nods. “Good idea. But after this town, I’m traveling alone again.”

Nick frowns. “If you’re heading out on your own, how am I supposed to learn your combat style, my friend?”

Silence stretches between them.

Nick finally speaks again. “If you’re going to run off, at least come with me to see this doctor. He knows your master. He told me if I brought you by and showed him some of your moves, then he’d help me with a problem I’ve got,” they start walking back toward the Inn. “And I was hoping you’d teach me. Guess I figured wrong.”

Jedite slows, brow furrowing. “Not many people know the man who trained me. I’ll have to meet this doctor… especially since I just dueled another student.”

Nick nods. “After we check in with the others, I’ll take you to him, if you want.”
******************************************************
Nick returns with Jedite at his side. Jedite appears worn down, pale, and carrying the kind of exhaustion that makes everyone else straighten up.

Drake rubs his eyes, fighting another yawn. “Alright, everyone… I think we need rest. And we need to get out of this town fast. Whoever we’re chasing; he’s not here. My bet? He’s headed west.”

Lori crosses her arms, “West means toward the Coalition. Reinforcements. Great.”

Atreides stands, already shifting into planning mode. “Champion, see if you can find us transportation. Preferably something armored. And armed. We’re going to hit trouble again. Anyone have black‑market contacts?”

Champion freezes for a moment, lost in some grim memory. Then he snaps back. “I’ll go now. I’ve got a place to stay. I’ll meet you all at dawn.” He leaves without another word.

Bruce and Drake lift Lucas carefully, carrying him toward the stairs. Drake glances back. “Jenna, you want to stay with him tonight? Or get your own room so you can rest?”

Jenna yawns so hard her eyes water. “I’m exhausted. I’ll stay with him. He won’t mind. He’s not exactly going anywhere.” She follows them upstairs.

Jedite turns to Nick. “So… do you want to take care of that now, or rest first?”

Nick shakes his head. “Let’s do it now. Night’s still young. I’ll see the rest of you in the morning. G’night.”
*************************************
Nick and Jedite arrive at the doctor’s door. After a few knocks, the doctor opens it and Jedite freezes. The resemblance is uncanny; same glowing blue eyes, same long hair, same posture. They almost glare at each other out of instinct.

Without breaking his staring contest with Jedite, the doctor tosses Nick four vials and a small syringe. “Twice a day until they’re gone.”

Nick blinks. “So… is this it?”

The doctor nods.

Jedite’s expression hardens. “I know what this is about. Nick, you head back. I’ll be fine.”

Nick scoffs. “I’m not leaving you behind. You crazy?”

Down the street, Champion spots them; Jedite, Nick, and a man who looks like Jedite’s mirror image. He approaches. “So… why are you talking to someone who looks exactly like you?”

The doctor doesn’t miss a beat. “Don’t worry. I know who you are.”

Champion raises a brow. “You do?”

Jedite gestures to the doctor. “I didn’t expect you to find us here. Centak trained with my master’s partner.”

Champion nods slowly. “Is there anything I can do to assist?”

Nick looks between them. “Okay, hold on. When I leave, are you two gonna start fighting and knock each other’s heads off?”

Jedite shakes his head. “No. We’re friends, in a way. Centak knows the other Blade Masters. He can help continue my training so we can stop the one causing trouble.”

Nick sighs, “Alright. I’ll see you back at the Inn,” and starts to walk away, but only gets a few steps before stopping to listen.

Champion steps closer, “Jedite… is there anything I can assist you with?”

Jedite meets his eyes. “Take care of everyone for me. I’ll catch up in a few days.”

Champion frowns, “Take care of everyone? I’m not part of the Blue Angels. But I’ll assist you.”

“Talk to Drake in the morning,” Jedite suggests, “Nick will vouch for you. They could use you.”

Champion bows slightly, “Thank you. Both of you. I’m honored.” He gestures behind him. “I don’t know about Nick, but I’d like to help you, if you’ll have me.”

Jedite smiles, nods once, and steps into the clinic.

Nick and Champion stand there, unsure what to do without him. Nick looks at the vials in his hand, pulls out the needle, fills it, and injects himself. He nods to Champion and heads back toward the Inn. Yet, Champion watches him go, then finds a quiet diner to settle into for the night.
******************************
Nick wanders past the Inn without even glancing at the door, letting the cool night air push him deeper into town. He follows the noise of laughter, music, the hum of people, who aren’t exhausted from chasing Blade Masters, and eventually reaches a busier district lit in neon.

A sign flickers overhead, "The Raven Lunatic"

Nick raises an eyebrow. “Well… points for creativity.”

He steps inside. Instantly, a barrage of flashing lights and pounding bass slams into him. The crowd moves like a single chaotic organism. Someone bumps his shoulder. A strobe light blinds him. The floor vibrates like it’s trying to shake him out of his boots. He spins on his heel and marches right back out, “Nope. Absolutely not. Terrible idea. I value my sanity.”

He keeps walking, letting the noise fade behind him. A few blocks later, he spots the warm glow spilling from a restaurant window. It's cozy, quiet and welcoming. The kind of place where nobody is swinging laser swords.

He steps inside. The air smells like fresh bread and something buttery. A cute waitress approaches with a practiced smile, “Hi! What can I getcha?”

Nick pauses just long enough for her to notice the shift in his expression. He smiles back, a real one this time, “Well… I think I just found the right place.”

She laughs, gestures him toward a booth, and the tension he’s been carrying all night finally starts to melt. He orders food, chats with her, maybe flirts a little. The music is soft, the lights are gentle, and for once nobody is trying to kill him.

Hours slip by without him noticing.

By the time he returns to the Inn, it’s late. The lobby is quiet. The chaos of earlier feels distant. He walks in with a relaxed grin. A grin that says he didn’t just find a meal… he found a moment of peace. And maybe a little fun...
***********************************
Morning comes far too early for Nick.

The rest of the party gathers in the lobby, bleary‑eyed but functional. Nick, however, is still dead asleep upstairs, clearly enjoying the afterglow of whatever “fun night” he managed to stumble into.

Lori tries to invent new ways to wake him. Today’s experiment could be an ice cube down the back.

Across the lobby, Lucas, finally conscious, stares at his stump, face pale. Bruce crouches beside him. “Hey, man. You all right?”

Before Lucas can answer, Drake snaps into command mode. “Lori, Nick, Champion, I need you three to scout a way out of town. Bruce, go with them.”

Lori nods. “Okay.”

Drake notices Nick’s absence and storms upstairs. He unlocks the door and bellows, “HEY! GET UP! You should’ve gone to bed early!”

Champion adds his own booming encouragement. “We need you awake!”

Lori lightly kicks Nick’s foot. “Rise and shine.”

Nick cracks one eye open… then closes it again.

Jenna laughs. “We could just let Lucas hork on him.”

“Haven’t you ever heard ‘early to bed, early to rise’?” Lori asks.

Champion tries a new tactic; volume, “We’re wasting time! NICK, WAKE UP! THERE’S CHROME SOLDIERS ATTACKING!”

That does it. Jenna yanks Lucas and Bruce out of the room. Champion instinctively bolts. Lori is still inside when a sudden ball of fire erupts in the center of the room. She squeaks and hops backward. Drake stands unfazed in the flames. He blinks once, and the fire vanishes.

Nick sits up, blinking. “I’m up! Now what?”

“We’re supposed to check out and find a safe way out of town,” Lori grumbles.

Nick stretches. “Let me get dressed.”

Lori heads to her room to check her hair, which is miraculously unsinged.

Champion calls after her, “Lori, you okay?” No answer.

Nick eventually comes downstairs, spotting Lucas. “We need to get that fixed. I can’t have a friend running around with no arms.”

Lucas tries to smile, saving his strength.

Champion shakes his head. “We might not have time. Depends on Drake.”

Bruce checks his balance. “I’ve got 2,500 credits.”

Jenna adds, “I’ll throw in 3,000. What’s the total?”

Others also contribute.

Lucas counts the pile. “Forty‑five thousand five hundred… Guys, seriously, thanks.” He stands shakily, “Let’s go get it.”

Atreides steps out. “You all go with him. I’ll scout ahead.”

Lori turns to Champion and Jenna. “You two go with Lucas. Champion knows a good cyberdoc. I’ll go with Atreides. We’ll need armor for Lucas anyway. I'll take twenty thousand credits for that. You guys grab the rest; Lucas left without it.”

Drake nods, “Medium build, medium height armor.”

Champion scoops up the credits. “Let’s go.”

They catch up to Lucas and enter the cyber‑clinic. Champion recognizes the doctor immediately.

The graying man peers over tiny spectacles. “What can I do for you?”

Champion smiles. “Good to see you again, Doctor. My friend Lucas needs a prosthetic arm.” He gestures to Jenna. “This is Jenna. I came here because you’re the best cyberdoc in New Lazlo.”

Lucas nods weakly.

Champion steps back. “I’ll pay after the operation.”

The doctor studies Lucas. “This will take a while. He’ll be unconscious the rest of the day and resting here for the week.”

Jenna raises a brow, “Okay.” She turns to Champion. “Want to eat? Walk? Go back to the Inn?”

Champion thinks. “Let’s eat. I know a good place that's good and cheap, great food. Or the Inn. Your choice.”

“Restaurant.”

Champion nods. “Very well.”

They leave Lucas with the doctor after a long, emotional hug.

The restaurant is cozy, warm, and familiar. It's the same one Nick visited last night.

Champion removes his helmet. “I think I’ll have the hashbrown special. What about you?”

Jenna smiles. “Two eggs, bacon, hashbrowns, and milk.”

“Good choice. Want me to order?”

“You may.” She giggles at his proper lingo.

The waitress takes their order, tired but friendly.

Jenna leans forward. “So… tell me about yourself.”

Champion exhales, settling into the story. “I was born in 79 P.A. in Lazlo. When I was five, my parents were murdered.” His voice tightens, then softens. “A Cyber‑Knight took me in. Taught me the code of chivalry, discipline, combat. He was like a father. After I finished training, he died of old age. I started traveling and fighting evil. Built a reputation without meaning to. Two weeks ago, I returned from Mexico… and here I am.”

He sits back, proud, waiting for her next question.
*********************************************
The heavy reinforced doors of the Lazlo Armory hum softly as Lori and Atreides step into the cool, dimly lit foyer. Behind a polished counter, the clerk looks up, his neutral expression instantly melting into a welcoming grin., "Well, hello there," he says, leaning forward. "What brings you to our humble corner of the world today?"

Lori flashes a knowing smile and holds up the clearance passes.

The clerk’s eyes widen, "Ah, privileged guests!" he exclaims, pressing an official seal onto the card with a satisfying thump. He keys open a heavy security door behind his desk and gestures toward the corridor with a flourish. "Right this way, folks. Let me show you where the magic happens."

They follow him down a labyrinth of reinforced hallways, the air growing cooler as a subterranean elevator carries them deep below the surface. When the heavy brass doors glide open, the cavernous space beyond takes their breath away.

It is a cathedral of steel and ingenuity. Illumination cascades from soaring vaulted ceilings, casting a warm golden glow across vast, shadow-draped avenues of military marvels. Tall, gleaming power armors stand like ancient mechanized sentinels, their pristine alloy plates catching the ambient light. Among the sleek, factory-fresh armaments, one-of-a-kind experimental rigs hum with residual nuclear energy, their custom chassis bearing the distinctive craftsmanship of master artisans. Far in the distance, the rhythmic clang of hammers and bright blue flashes of arc-welding signal the bustling engineering bays, where technicians bring damaged titans back to life and forge tomorrow's defenses.

"So," the clerk says softly, sweeping his arm toward an awe-inspiring lineup of towering mechs, "what can I ignite your imaginations with today?"

As Atreides takes in the grandeur of the workshop, his sharp gaze catches the subtle glint of optical lenses nestled in the high archways, alongside the faint, shadow-shrouded silhouettes of armed sentinels silently watching over the vault from high gantries.

Lori meets the clerk's gaze, her smile widening. "My friend here has his heart set on a suit of power armor... but first, we have a promise to keep. We need to pick up some body armor for a companion."
**********************************************************
Right on cue, the waitress returns with both of their drinks. She takes one look at Champion’s face and decides it’s best to just walk away. Jenna raises an eyebrow, sighs, and asks, "Interesting, but have you had any time for a personal life? Like a relationship with someone close?"

Champion keeps a straight face. He picks up his water, takes a sip, and meets her gaze. "No, I've never been in a relationship. Never. I haven't really thought about it, to be honest. Guess I'm just not ready." He stays quiet about the truth: he's terrified of falling in love.

A moment later, the food hits the table. The hashbrowns look absolute perfection, and the warm, salty aroma immediately makes their mouths water and stomachs rumble. The waitress smiles warmly as she steps back. "Let me know if you need anything else, honey."

"Thank you," Champion says softly. He pauses, waiting politely for Jenna to dig in first.

Jenna picks up her fork and goes straight for the hashbrowns, taking a few bites before moving on to her eggs and bacon. "Good stuff," she says between bites, washing it down with a sip of milk.

Seeing her eat, Champion picks up his fork. The hashbrowns taste incredible. oO(No wonder I love this place)Oo he thinks to himself. He eats hungrily, polishing off the plate before draining his water glass. He wipes his mouth with a paper napkin, then looks over at Jenna. "I'm going to wash my hands. Excuse me for a minute, I'll be right back."

He slips away to the restroom and returns a few minutes later, sliding back into the booth. He puts his helmet back on and sits quietly, waiting for the check.

Once Jenna finishes her last bite, the waitress slides the ticket onto the table in front of Champion before heading back behind the counter to dry glasses.

Jenna smiles, patting her stomach. "That hit the spot. My tummy feels great now. You ready to head out? I know I am."

Champion nods. They both head up to the register, where Champion settles the bill; about twenty-five credits for the two diner plates and drinks. "The others are expecting us," he tells Jenna as they step out into the fresh air. "We should head back to the Inn."

They walk back together and find Alec, Chris, Bruce, Drake, and Atreides waiting outside, looking fully geared up.

"I apologize for keeping you all waiting," Champion says, stepping up to the group. He turns to Drake. "I'm ready for whatever you need me to do."

Jenna stands nearby, waiting for the next move.

Drake looks around at the crew. "Alright, let's grab our gear and meet up with Nick out there. Everyone ready?"

"Yes, I'm ready," Champion says, while Jenna nods along.

Chris checks his weapons with a grin. "Yub yub, chief."
*********************************************************

Nick putters along following the jeep tracks at a thoroughly average speed, muttering to the empty air, "Where on earth were these bastards even going?"

He eventually stumbles upon the jeep in question, sitting abandoned in a gully like a discarded toy. No one is inside. Naturally, it's nestled right next to a ravine and framed by several conveniently placed groves of trees. oO(Oh, fantastic)Oo he thinks, oO(it’s a textbook ambush)Oo

He narrows his eyes and scans the scenery like a hawk looking for trouble. Sure enough, he spots several prime sniper perches along the ravine and tucked into the foliage. On the bright side, every single one of those cozy little hideouts looks extremely flammable. While plotting his hypothetical pyrotechnics, he notices a second set of tire marks, like deep, aggressive tread lines that scream, 'we tore out of here in a panicked hurry.'

Cautiously, he creeps up to the abandoned vehicle. He peers inside, only to find it completely picked clean. They didn't just take the good stuff; they went full barbarian and sliced the ignition wires right in half. To top off the craftsmanship, the fuel tank is bone dry.

Defeated by the empty gas tank, Nick decides to play detective and follow the fresh tracks. Five minutes into his leisurely pursuit, he spots something glistening in the undergrowth: a pile of trashed Chrome armor lounging in the weeds. He recognizes it instantly; it’s the exact gear worn by one of the goons who grabbed Bruce and Warren. The massive, angry slash marks and dramatic laser burns from Jedite’s blade are a dead giveaway.

"Hmm," Nick grunts, deeply moved by the crime scene.

He looks down the path and realizes the tracks head straight into Coalition-controlled territory. Conveniently for his survival, the route plows through heavily forested regions that make high-altitude aerial surveillance completely useless. He starts snapping off chunks of the scorched Chrome armor, dropping them like metal breadcrumbs to mark the trail before turning around and heading back to Ann Arbor.
****************************************************
Lori and Atreides are still deep in negotiation, the armory buzzing around them like a marketplace of dangerous toys.

“Do you mean the defected one?” the salesman asks, brow wrinkling.

“The operational one,” Atreides snaps, patience thinning.

The salesman lifts both hands in surrender. “Right, right. That one comes stocked with four rockets loaded, reloads for each, standard railgun plus a spare, extra rounds for both railguns, and all the baseline armaments. Fresh off the assembly line. Still smells like factory coolant.”

Atreides leans in, eyes gleaming with possibility. “Could you install a few small lasers? Maybe a targeting computer?”

The salesman exhales like someone asked him to move a mountain. “We could. But it’ll take a week and cost another eighty thousand credits. Time’s tight, you sure you want us to do all that?”

Atreides rubs his temples. “Not right now. I need air. And a moment to think.” He steps out of the armory, letting the door swing shut behind him.

Outside, Nick rolls past on his hovercycle, then immediately swings around when he spots them. He parks with a flourish, grinning like he’s about to sell them beachfront property on the moon.

“Hey! Wassap? What’re you two doing out here? Find anything useful?” His grin widens. “Also… how many credits do we even have?”

Atreides groans. “I didn’t get the power armor. So… we’re fully loaded. For now.”

Nick’s eyes spark with mischief. “I’ve got an idea for instant credits.”

Lori arches a brow. “Hmm. Really? How?”

Nick’s grin turns into the kind that means someone is about to regret something. “I might be able to help. Depends on how you plan on doing this.”

*************************************************
Back at the hotel, Nick strolls in and faces the rest of the gang. “Hey, good to see you guys again. Atreides, what’s this plan you’ve been teasing? It better be a good one, because we need serious cash if we’re gonna buy anything worth firing. I’m heading to the armory.”

“I’ll come with you. They might have something I want,” Champion says, falling into step.

“I’m coming too!” Jenna chimes in. “There might be something shiny in there that calls my name.”

Nick stops mid‑stride. “Well why don’t we all just go in!” he throws his hands up dramatically, “and rob the place.”

Everyone freezes.

Nick snorts. “Joking! Just joking. Mostly. Before anyone goes in, though, I wanna hear your plan, Atreides.”

Lori smiles. “If Champion can point me toward a reputable magic shop, I’ll do my window shopping there.”

Chris leans back, casual as ever. “We just need a juicy contract to kill someone. Boom! Money, equipment, problem solved. Fastest way I know to get rich.”

Alec pushes past him and heads straight towards the armory without a word.

Champion shoots Chris a glare sharp enough to cut steel. His fists clench, jaw tight. After a long moment, he forces a smile that looks like it’s fighting for its life. “There are better ways to make money.” He turns to Nick. “I’ll show Lori where the magic shop is. I’ve lost interest in the armory.”

He mounts his horse and looks back at Lori. “You coming or not?”

Chris smirks. “Why don’t you share your wise money‑making secrets? And look at me like that again and I’ll gouge your eyes out.”

Lori swings onto her horse, gives the group a quick wave, and rides after Champion.
******************************************
OOC: Another gap in posts...

The shopkeeper looks up at the two of them and grins like he’s been waiting for customers all week. “I’ve seen you around plenty, but I still have no idea who the hell you are,” he nods Champion. “So, what can I get you?”

“I was wondering what spells you have for sale,” Lori asks, already scanning the shelves like a kid in a candy store.

“Well… we’ve got exactly one.” He lifts a finger, digs through a chaotic pile of notes, muttering to himself. “Ah! Here it is. Seal.” He shrugs. “Not the most exciting thing in the world.”

Lori tilts her head. “Hmm. No, not interested in that one. Mind if I browse a bit?”

“Go right ahead! Just don’t reorganize anything... I’ve got a system.”
He absolutely does not have a system.

OOC: Another massive gap in posts...

Lori wanders deeper into the shop, weaving between shelves stacked with odd trinkets, dusty scrolls, and items that look like they might explode if you sneeze near them. Then she spots a sword resting on a display stand, glowing faintly with magical energy. It’s beautiful in a way that makes her pause.

She pops her head above the shelves. “Hey! What’s this supposed to do? And how much are you asking for it?”

The shopkeeper glances over. “That old thing? Five thousand credits. Been here forever. Nobody’s ever found it interesting.”

OOC: yet another gap

Lori practically bounces on her heels, “Let’s head back and find the others!”

Champion nods, though his enthusiasm is… muted. Chris’s earlier comment about, “Killing someone is the fastest way to make money” is still echoing in his head like a bad sales pitch. He shakes it off. oO(No wonder I don’t like juicers. But if I’m sticking with this team, I’ll have to cope with him)Oo

He mounts his horse, reins in hand, and gives Lori a small smile. Then he kicks off into a gallop, heading back toward the armory; looking very much like a man who’s trying to outrun both his irritation and the memory of Chris’s “business strategy.”

***************************************
As the group steps into the armory, the clerk looks up at Atreides and grins. “Finished thinking?” Then he notices the crowd behind him. “Uh… only two at a time. We’ve only got two one‑day passes logged. Can’t let more than that inside.”

Jenna throws her hands up. “Well, now what? Is there anywhere else a couple of us can go shopping before we start loitering suspiciously?”

Nick taps Bruce on the shoulder. “Hey, can I talk to you outside for a sec?” He slips out the door.

Drake turns to Atreides. “Hey, can you give us your pass? At least let us browse.”

“Sure.” Atreides hands it over and follows Nick outside.

Bruce brightens the moment he steps out. “Sure! What do you need?”

Nick and Bruce walk a few paces away. Jenna stays inside, looking around like she’s waiting for the armory to spontaneously entertain her.

Bruce asks, “Well? What’s up?”

Nick leans in conspiratorially. “You’re a hacker, right? I was thinking… maybe you could tweak the UI cards. Give us a little more spending money. What do you say?”

The two huddle like school kids plotting a prank, whispering fast. Atreides catches the phrase “cover my ass” and raises an eyebrow.

Bruce nods eagerly. “No problem, bro. I’ll do whatever it takes!” He glances at Atreides. “You can help too. Okay, let’s get started.”

Nick looks around. “Bruce, you got your laptop?”

Bruce blinks. “Where do you want me to start, Nick?”

Nick pats him on the shoulder. “Hey, you’re the brains of the group. Wherever you think is best.”

“Follow me.” Bruce grabs his gear and heads toward the outskirts of the city.

“Okay!” Nick jogs after him.

Bruce leads them to a small ley line, sets up his laptop, and attaches a strange antenna that hums faintly when pointed at the shimmering energy. Then he pulls out a cable, plugs one end into the laptop, and the other directly into his head.

He looks up, expression blank. “How much?”

Nick spreads his hands. “How much can you get? Let’s take everything we can and get the hell out.”

“At least enough for several suits of power armor,” Atreides adds. “Maybe a robot. Extra weapons would be nice.”

Bruce cracks his knuckles. “Okay… here we go.” He starts typing, slides his UI card into the laptop, pauses, then suddenly yanks all the cables free.

“We have to work fast. The Coalition already tracked me. But I got about twenty‑five million credits!” His grin is enormous. This is clearly the best day of his life.

Atreides stares. “Could you snag another five million? We might be able to get a Glitter Boy and some extra suits.”

Nick claps Bruce on the back. “Don’t stop now! Take them for everything they’ve got! If they come looking for trouble, we’ll handle it. Just work fast!”

Suddenly, Mavis steps out of the brush like she’s been following them for miles. “Hey guys, I finally caught up!”

***********************************************
Mavis scans the group as he reunites with them, his eyes darting suspiciously from face to face. Every few seconds his nostrils flare dramatically like he's either he’s sizing everyone up with a keen hunter’s instinct… or he’s fighting the world’s most persistent head cold.

He locks onto Atreides and announces, “Well, we haven’t been properly introduced. I’m Mavis.” His gaze shifts like he’s trying to look mysterious but ends up looking mildly confused.

“I’m Atreides,” the other replies. “I remember you from the original group, but you had to leave for some reason. Am I right?”

Before Mavis can answer, Chris bursts out like someone just won the lottery. “Look! It’s Mavis!”

Mavis jolts, then beams. “Good to see ya, Chris!” His smile is so enthusiastic it practically has its own gravitational pull.

Chris elbows him. “Where’ve you been? Still can’t tell left from right, took a wrong turn, got lost again?”

Mavis waves him off. “I had some personal business to take care of. But I’m back now, fully motivated, ready to assist with whatever you lunatics are doing.” He looks around the group, hands on hips. “So! Where can a guy get some serious firepower around here?”

***************************************************
New Lazlo Armory:
"Okay, I'd like to buy a CS Mark V, a flying titan, some weapons, food rations, medical Supplies and some hunting weapons, Something to sleep on that will fit in Mark V." Nick looks around, "And could I see the goods, please before we make a purchase?" As the salesman, wide-eyed, strolls away, Nick bounces in excitement, "Bruce, when he comes back, give the guy the money up front." As the worker returns, Bruce does, "Okay let us pay now and let us pick from the goods."

The worker seems in awe, "We can get all of the other stuff easy, but the CS Mark V APC will take about a day for us. Is that ok with you? We don't usually carry heavy gear like that. We have the connections though."

"Thats fine, and those armors do you guys carry Sting-rays? Or the NG-EX10 Gladius Light Exo-skeleton Battle Armor?" thinks for a moment, "Oh! And some regular body armor like crusader or deadboy armor." Nick stands there, vibrating with excitement, then, "How about I make you a small list."

The CS Mark V = 21mil
The Flying Titan = 1mil
Sting-rays if you got them = 350k
Maybe NG-EX10 Gladius Light Exo-skeleton Battle Armor 150k
WI-23 Missile Launcher = 30k
WI-GL4 Revolving Grenade Launcher = 50k
WI-GL20 Automatic Grenade Launcher = 150k
NG-E12 Heavy Plasma Ejector = 80k
NG-LG6 NG Laser Rifle & Grenade Launcher = 20k
NG Anti-Personnel Mines = 600
NG Anti-Vehicle Mines = 1000
Fusion blocks and Grenades
C-12 Heavy Assault Rifle
Vibro Knife and shot guns
Food Rations for 12 people for a month and Medical Supplies and a nice computer system.
*****************************************
The New Lazlo armory doesn’t disappoint. By nightfall, the crew walks out with their haul, including the CS Mark V secured, crates stacked, credits spent like water.

Bruce claims the Gladiator armor with the pride of someone picking out a new car. Drake hefts the Dead Boy armor, meant for Lucas, testing the weight like he’s already imagining the battlefield. Chris straps into the Flying Titan power armor, wings humming with barely restrained enthusiasm.

Drake surveys the group, nodding in approval. “Alright. Lucas stays here. Let him rest, get his arm working again. The rest of us? We drive, we sleep, we keep moving.” He gestures toward the transport. “Let’s load everything up. Chris, scout ahead of us, but stay in visual range.” He inhales deeply, lets it out slow. “We all set?”

Champion takes his horse’s bridle and gives a firm nod. “I am ready.”

Mavis, meanwhile, is… being Mavis. He licks the barrel of his laser rifle like he’s taste‑testing it, one eye twitching off toward the horizon before snapping back into place. He leans toward Champion, jittery as a caffeinated squirrel.
“S‑s‑s‑say, you need some saddlebags for that horse you got?”

Champion stares at him. Long. Silent. The kind of stare that suggests he’s reconsidering spending time with these whack jobs. Finally, he shrugs.
“No. But thank you anyway.”

The group stands there for a moment with their new armor gleaming, engines cooling, the night settling around them like a curtain. They’re tired, armed, and more than a little chaotic… but ready.

And somewhere beyond the city lights, the next challenge awaits.
"I plan to live forever. Or die trying..." Vila - Blakes 7