Rifts - DMH - Journey to Rifle Ridge

Adventure starts in Fort Hammer with our PCs as coming of age teenagers trying to find their place in the world.
User avatar
Norgarth
Hero
Posts: 717
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:35 am
Location: Lost in thought

Re: Rifts - DMH - Journey to Rifle Ridge

Post by Norgarth »

"A Catch 22 is a situation where there's no real way to cleanly win, though I'm unsure where the saying comes from, I think it dates back to some old game from the Golden Age."

He doesn't blame Sin for enjoying the flavours, Steve's cooking is great.

"We're heading to Rifle Ridge. We've got various reason, but since we were all going the same way, we figured it was safer to travel together." Brad pauses as he recalls something. "By chance were you prowling around the forest around here last night? We heard something big moving around in the woods but couldn't see anything."

Brad is keeping an eye on Larry's group, if they start prepping to leave, he'll help Steve and the others pack up to continue the journey.
The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live. - George Carlin
User avatar
Chaser1
Administrator
Posts: 1708
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:38 pm
Contact:

Re: Rifts - DMH - Journey to Rifle Ridge

Post by Chaser1 »

"A Catch 22 is a situation where there's no real way to cleanly win, though I'm unsure where the saying comes from, I think it dates back to some old game from the Golden Age." He doesn't blame Sin for enjoying the flavors, Frank's cooking is great.

As if on queue, Frank interrupts, "Catch 22 was a pre-apocalypse movie about some who was sane enough to be grounded, understanding that his situation was dire. But being classified as sane made him fit for duty, thus creating a no win loop. I read it in some book somewhere."

Brad continues, "We're heading to Rifle Ridge. We've got various reason, but since we were all going the same way, we figured it was safer to travel together." Brad pauses as he recalls something. "By chance were you prowling around the forest around here last night? We heard something big moving around in the woods but couldn't see anything."

"Yeah, it was me. I was trying to see if you guys were safe. I watched that guy," Sin points at Frank, "Cooking your food. Smelled good. But I waited and went back home to rest. I can't stay human forever."

Brad is keeping an eye on Larry's group. They gather around the cargo haulers in a circle and continue enjoying their food, yet keeping a wary eye on Sin.

Meanwhile, Steve finally finishes his plate, then dishes up some more, sprinkled with crushed chips and ketchup. Frank smiles, proud of the food he's created as he begins cleaning and packing up his cookware and ingredients.

"It's usually safe out here, but last night some guy in an armored suit just walked into my cave and started taking my things. Then tried to shoot me when I asked him to leave. I scared him off but he's probably still around," Sin glances towards the mountain range, "I'd love to come with you guys, but I'm afraid that he'll come back and steal. Although, I could probably just pack it all up if you guys want my company!" Sin childishly smiles as like kid who's been invited to go on a fun vacation.
"I plan to live forever. Or die trying..." Vila - Blakes 7
lysanthra
Wanderer
Posts: 85
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2025 12:33 pm

Re: Rifts - DMH - Journey to Rifle Ridge

Post by lysanthra »

Lysanthra chuckles at Sin's enthusiasm. "I mean it's up to the guys, but you seem like great company," she says to him. Then she turns to the guys and tips her head to the side while shrugging, asking "well?" without saying another word. Liz sees the pros and cons of letting him join them, but she also doesn't want to be on Sin's bad side later. If they don't let him tag along now he could hold that against them later. If he's on their side, for at least now, he could be useful and entertaining too. Ultimately it's not just her decision so she lets the guys answer.
User avatar
Chaser1
Administrator
Posts: 1708
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:38 pm
Contact:

Re: Rifts - DMH - Journey to Rifle Ridge

Post by Chaser1 »

Lysanthra chuckles at Sin's enthusiasm. "I mean it's up to the guys, but you seem like great company," she says to him. Then she turns to the guys and tips her head to the side while shrugging, asking "well?" without saying another word. Liz sees the pros and cons of letting him join them, but she also doesn't want to be on Sin's bad side later. If they don't let him tag along now he could hold that against them later. If he's on their side, for at least now, he could be useful and entertaining too. Ultimately, it's not just her decision so she lets the guys answer.

Frank shrugs, "Doesn't matter to me. I just want to get to Rifle Ridge and get the job done."

Steve grins, "A dragon as a friend? What could go wrong? What do you think, Brad?"
"I plan to live forever. Or die trying..." Vila - Blakes 7
User avatar
Norgarth
Hero
Posts: 717
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:35 am
Location: Lost in thought

Re: Rifts - DMH - Journey to Rifle Ridge

Post by Norgarth »

OOC: Sorry, the last week's been kinda hectic -_-'

IC:
Brad nods in acknowledgement of Frank's input about a 'catch 22'.

"I don't mind if you tag along, though I'm unsure if Larry and his men will agree, as I said, dragon's don't have the best reputations, deserved or not."

Brad ponders a bit. Larry and crew may decide they don't want us travelling with them if Syn is hanging around. Brad has a map that we can use to get to Rifle Ridge on our own, we'd been travelling with Larry for greater safety and he knows shortcuts/easier routes.

"We have some free cargo space if your, um, horde? Isn't too bulky, but I don't have any free seats in my truck. Oh wait, you just said you can't stay in human form long term. I suppose you'd just fly instead? I should warn you, you aren't likely to get a friendly welcome in Rifle Ridge either. Again, non-humans tend to be looked upon with suspicion, and big creatures with fear," Brad ends with a grimace and scratching the back of his head.

Brad knows he's more open to strangers and D-bee than most. A dragon is more than just a D-bee, but Syn is a sentient being, and friendly, so the same principle applies.
The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live. - George Carlin
User avatar
Chaser1
Administrator
Posts: 1708
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:38 pm
Contact:

Re: Rifts - DMH - Journey to Rifle Ridge

Post by Chaser1 »

OOC: Backing up the recap of the story to include Brad's nod to Frank.

Brad nods in acknowledgement of Frank's input about a 'catch 22'.

"Yeah, it was me. I was trying to see if you guys were safe. I watched that guy," Sin points at Frank, "Cooking your food. Smelled good. But I waited and went back home to rest. I can't stay human forever."

Brad is keeping an eye on Larry's group. They gather around the cargo haulers in a circle and continue enjoying their food, yet keeping a wary eye on Sin.

Meanwhile, Steve finally finishes his plate, then dishes up some more, sprinkled with crushed chips and ketchup. Frank smiles, proud of the food he's created as he begins cleaning and packing up his cookware and ingredients.

"It's usually safe out here, but last night some guy in an armored suit just walked into my cave and started taking my things. Then tried to shoot me when I asked him to leave. I scared him off but he's probably still around," Sin glances towards the mountain range, "I'd love to come with you guys, but I'm afraid that he'll come back and steal. Although, I could probably just pack it all up if you guys want my company!" Sin childishly smiles as like kid who's been invited to go on a fun vacation.

Lysanthra chuckles at Sin's enthusiasm. "I mean it's up to the guys, but you seem like great company," she says to him. Then she turns to the guys and tips her head to the side while shrugging, asking "well?" without saying another word. Liz sees the pros and cons of letting him join them, but she also doesn't want to be on Sin's bad side later. If they don't let him tag along now he could hold that against them later. If he's on their side, for at least now, he could be useful and entertaining too. Ultimately, it's not just her decision so she lets the guys answer.

Frank shrugs, "Doesn't matter to me. I just want to get to Rifle Ridge and get the job done."

Steve grins, "A dragon as a friend? What could go wrong? What do you think, Brad?"

"I don't mind if you tag along, though I'm unsure if Larry and his men will agree, as I said, dragon's don't have the best reputations, deserved or not," Brad ponders a bit. Larry and crew may decide they don't want us traveling with them if Syn is hanging around. Brad has a map that we can use to get to Rifle Ridge on our own, we'd been traveling with Larry for greater safety and he knows shortcuts/easier routes.

"We have some free cargo space if your, um, horde? Isn't too bulky, but I don't have any free seats in my truck. Oh wait, you just said you can't stay in human form long term. I suppose you'd just fly instead? I should warn you, you aren't likely to get a friendly welcome in Rifle Ridge either. Again, non-humans tend to be looked upon with suspicion, and big creatures with fear," Brad ends with a grimace and scratching the back of his head. He knows he's more open to strangers and D-bees than most. A dragon is more than just a D-bee, but Syn is a sentient being, and friendly, so the same principle applies.

"Well, would you guys ask if I can come with? I don't want anyone to be uncomfortable with me around. I'm good at protecting things and people. I don't eat more than I'm allowed and I have enough money to pay for fuel if we need it." Sin adds, then smiles to Liz, "Thank you."

Steve laughs, "Umm, NOT IT!" Frank smiles as he shakes his head at Steve's remark, continuing his cleanup. He quickly shoots Johnny and Sam a shark glare as they should be helping him.
"I plan to live forever. Or die trying..." Vila - Blakes 7
User avatar
Norgarth
Hero
Posts: 717
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:35 am
Location: Lost in thought

Re: Rifts - DMH - Journey to Rifle Ridge

Post by Norgarth »

"Well, would you guys ask if I can come with? I don't want anyone to be uncomfortable with me around. I'm good at protecting things and people. I don't eat more than I'm allowed and I have enough money to pay for fuel if we need it." Sin adds, then smiles to Liz, "Thank you."

Steve laughs, "Umm, NOT IT!" Frank smiles as he shakes his head at Steve's remark, continuing his cleanup. He quickly shoots Johnny and Sam a shark glare as they should be helping him.
Brad shakes his head with a rueful grin, knowing this'll be on him again. Then he drops off his dishes for cleaning and hops into his truck. He grabs the map before heading over to Larry.

"well, you may call us naive and reckless youngsters, but we're gonna give Syn a chance."

Assuming Larry is against the idea of travelling with Syn, Brad will nods and say, "That's fair and reasonable." He'll pull out the map and ask Larry to go over the directions to get to Rifle Ridge, once more. "SYn has asked to bring something , so we'll probably be getting a late start while they retrieve whatever it is. Should allow you to get some distance between us in case something does go awry."
The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live. - George Carlin
User avatar
Chaser1
Administrator
Posts: 1708
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:38 pm
Contact:

Re: Rifts - DMH - Journey to Rifle Ridge

Post by Chaser1 »

Brad shakes his head with a rueful grin, knowing this'll be on him again. Then he drops off his dishes for cleaning and hops into his truck. He grabs the map before heading over to Larry, "Well, you may call us naive and reckless youngsters, but we're gonna give Sin a chance."

"That's on you..." Larry shakes his head in disbelief. ""I suppose the boys and I will drive ahead of you in case of any trouble. But keep close enough to see if anything happens. Fair enough?"

"That's fair and reasonable." He pulls out the map and asks Larry to go over the directions to get to Rifle Ridge, once more. "Sin has asked to bring something , so we'll probably be getting a late start while they retrieve whatever it is. Should allow you to get some distance between us in case something does go awry."

"Just follow us. We'll keep you in sight, but not close enough that it can get to us," he nods at Sin, "You've heard what those things can do to us, right? Happens more often than not."
"I plan to live forever. Or die trying..." Vila - Blakes 7
User avatar
Norgarth
Hero
Posts: 717
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:35 am
Location: Lost in thought

Re: Rifts - DMH - Journey to Rifle Ridge

Post by Norgarth »

Brad nods, "Yeah, but Syn has been peaceful so far. I reckon it's like how you hear more stories about the town drunk or the guy with the fiery temper than you do about the fellow with the calm demeanour. The nice ones don't cause trouble, so we don't hear about them. We just hear about the assholes."

Heading back to the others, Brad tells them, "Larry's a bit leery of travelling too close, so they'll be leading us by a stretch. But other than that it's a go. Syn, how big is whatever it is you want to bring? We'll have to see about rearranging the stuff in the trailer to fit it."
The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live. - George Carlin
User avatar
Chaser1
Administrator
Posts: 1708
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:38 pm
Contact:

Re: Rifts - DMH - Journey to Rifle Ridge

Post by Chaser1 »

Brad nods, "Yeah, but Sin has been peaceful so far. I reckon it's like how you hear more stories about the town drunk or the guy with the fiery temper than you do about the fellow with the calm demeanor. The nice ones don't cause trouble, so we don't hear about them. We just hear about the assholes."

Larry nods, "I understand but I like to lean on the side of caution."

Heading back to the others, Brad tells them, "Larry's a bit leery of traveling too close, so they'll be leading us by a stretch. But other than that it's a go. Sin, how big is whatever it is you want to bring? We'll have to see about rearranging the stuff in the trailer to fit it."

Sin lifts a finger, all cheerful. “Just a book and some money a friend gave me ages ago. I’ll be right back! And then we can play trailer tetris.” His smile drops and poof, then so does he. One blink, and he’s gone like a magician who doesn’t bother with smoke bombs.

"What's trailer Tetris?" Sam asks, mostly looking at Liz as if she's the one who would know.

Steve exhales dramatically. “Cool trick. How’d he do that? I can’t even disappear from chores.”

“You don’t do chores... EVER...” Maya retorts.

Frank shrugs, still stuffing gear into bags. “Metaphysicals understand their ‘science’ the way we understand ours. They probably think our tech is magical, and we think theirs is… whatever that was.” He points at Sam and Johnny. “Guys! Clean, help! Do something!” He’s mostly yelling at Johnny.

Johnny throws his hands up. “Sheesh! I didn’t want to turn my back on it.”

Steve barks a laugh. “Facing it wouldn’t help. You’d just get a front‑row seat if it decided to kill you.”

Maya groans. “You’re not helping.”

“Well it’s true…” Steve mutters.

“Stop,” Sam cuts in, already elbow‑deep in bucket suds. “Also, Frank. We’re burning through water fast.”

Frank checks the jugs and frowns like they personally betrayed him. “Are Larry’s guys using our water first? If they’re driving ahead, then we just got robbed by proximity.”

And right then, because timing is Sin’s favorite hobby, he steps out from behind what looks like an invisible curtain, holding a stack of children’s books like he just raided a kindergarten library. He opens one, pulls out a UI Card, beams, and tucks it back in, and looks at Brad, “Okay! I’m ready.”
"I plan to live forever. Or die trying..." Vila - Blakes 7