Rifts - DMH - Journey to Rifle Ridge

Adventure starts in Fort Hammer with our PCs as coming of age teenagers trying to find their place in the world.
lysanthra
Wanderer
Posts: 85
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2025 12:33 pm

Re: Rifts - DMH - Journey to Rifle Ridge

Post by lysanthra »

Lysanthra looks over the strange kid again and considers the question. She slowly rocks her head back and forth like she is physically weighing her thoughts. "Well, what exactly did you see while you were running away?" she asks the kid. Liz suspects he knows more than he's sharing at the moment. She plans to find out more, one way or another, for the safety of all of them. Seeing his age up close she wants to instinctively protect him but she has to trust her real intuition to be cautious. Something definitely isn't right with the situation and current circumstances suggest to investigate further before acting.
User avatar
Norgarth
Hero
Posts: 717
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:35 am
Location: Lost in thought

Re: Rifts - DMH - Journey to Rifle Ridge

Post by Norgarth »

Finishing off the last of his food , Brad says, "I'm a healer, I can take a look at any injuries you have." He gives the kid a good look over, checking for obvious injuries. Larry thought the figure was injured when he looked through his binoculars...

Spotless clothes, scooping hot food with a bare hand and not really noticing the temperature, possibly rapid healing as he walked to them... Brad has some suspicions. He thinks, oO This Sinzakragu, god that's a tongue-twister. This Sin seems pretty young, he could be a friendly but naive D-bee kid, or a monster in disguise, or something in between. He's been mostly polite at least. Oo

Out loud Brad then asks, "So who were you travelling with and where were you headed?"

OCC:
Not sure if either of these would apply but let's give it a shot
Lore: D-Bees 50%
Xenology 50%

As a player, I suspect Sin is a Dragon Hatchling, but I doubt Brad is even aware Dragons can shape shift. General shape shifting 'monsters/demons' are common in stories though.
The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live. - George Carlin
User avatar
Chaser1
Administrator
Posts: 1710
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:38 pm
Contact:

Re: Rifts - DMH - Journey to Rifle Ridge

Post by Chaser1 »

Finishing off the last of his food , Brad adds, "I'm a healer, I can take a look at any injuries you have." He gives the kid a good look over, checking for obvious injuries. Larry thought the figure was injured when he looked through his binoculars... Yet, upon having the kid lift his sweatshirt, he has no shirt underneath but a pock-marked scar that looks to be healing quite well... In fact, it slowly fades as he examines the kid.

Lysanthra studies the strange boy again, her expression tightening. She rocks her head side to side, weighing thoughts she doesn’t voice. “What exactly did you see while you were running?” she asks, carefully probing. Liz senses that the kid is holding something back. His age tugs at her instincts, but the situation tugs harder.

Sin shrugs. “I dunno. I saw your smoke and figured you couldn’t be worse than what was back there.” He jerks a thumb toward the distant battlefield. The silence behind them feels heavier now, like the land itself is waiting.

Brad notices everything: the spotless clothes, the way Sin scoops hot food with bare fingers without flinching, the casual way he walked up to them with a wound that healed in real time. His mind churns. oO(This Sinzakragu, god that's a tongue-twister. This Sin seems pretty young, he could be a friendly, but naive, D-bee kid, or a monster in disguise, or something in between. He's been mostly polite at least)Oo

“So,” Brad says aloud, “who were you traveling with? Where were you headed?”

Sin pauses mid‑bite. “I was with a group, a few weeks ago…” He scratches at the scar that no longer exists, then beams. “Ooo! All better. Thanks, healer!” He devours the rest of his food faster than Steve ever could. “They were into dangerous stuff. I didn’t like it. So I left. Miss Page was nice, though.”

Steve whistles. “Holy kid, you WERE starving!”

“I can’t watch,” Maya mutters. “Use a fork next time.”

Sin blinks at her, baffled. “I was hungry. Geez.” His eyes drift toward the pan; there's still plenty left. “Can I have more?”

Frank chuckles. “Yeah, kid. I’ll throw in some bacon.” He dishes up another helping, topping it with green onion and crisp bits of pork.

Brad’s suspicions crystallize. Enhanced healing. Odd accent. Strange behavior. Something foreign in the way he moves, the way he watches them. Not alien, probably… but at the very least; a d-bee. A dragon, likely. Maybe even the same one they saw fighting over the mountain range. If something was hunting him, hiding among peaceful travelers would be the perfect cover. And if that’s true… Then whatever chased him might not be far behind.

OCC:
Lore: D-Bees 50% --> Roll = 13%
Xenology 50% --> Roll = 11%
"I plan to live forever. Or die trying..." Vila - Blakes 7
lysanthra
Wanderer
Posts: 85
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2025 12:33 pm

Re: Rifts - DMH - Journey to Rifle Ridge

Post by lysanthra »

Liz knows a little about non-human creatures from lore and her personal studies. She is definitely convinced now from watching this "kid" close-up that he's not human and definitely hiding something. Now she's very on edge, looking around closely for anything else in their vicinity. He may not be alone. She is also concerned someone or something could be after him which means they could be in even more danger. Lysanthra remains nervous and stops eating. Now she's just watching and thinking.
User avatar
Chaser1
Administrator
Posts: 1710
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:38 pm
Contact:

Re: Rifts - DMH - Journey to Rifle Ridge

Post by Chaser1 »

Liz knows a little about non-human creatures from lore and her personal studies. She is definitely convinced now from watching this "kid" close-up that he's not human and definitely hiding something. Now she's very on edge, looking around closely for anything else in their vicinity. He may not be alone. She is also concerned someone or something could be after him which means they could be in even more danger. Lysanthra remains nervous and stops eating. Now she's just watching and thinking.

Johnny, being quiet this whole time, finally frowns as he asks, "Hey! I thought you had a scar on your gut! Where'd it go?"

Sin shrugs, "I heal fast. I dunno. Don't any of you heal fast?"

Johnny and Frank glance briefly at Brad, knowing that he has a knack administering treatment to his patients in such a way that they heal much faster than most. Even before he was a doctor in training. Sin notices and then shrugs, "I thought so. The last group I was with had people who just healed faster. Some within minutes. Fascinating..." He let's the word trail off as though in deep thought.

"I guess..." Johnny shrugs still watching Brad, noticing slight signs of concern on Brad's face.

Larry unbuckles his vibro-blade and gun holsters. Sin notices, "Really? Please don't. I'm not dangerous and I have nothing to steal."

"Uh... You're definitely weird," Steve grins, yet scoots away.
"I plan to live forever. Or die trying..." Vila - Blakes 7
User avatar
Norgarth
Hero
Posts: 717
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:35 am
Location: Lost in thought

Re: Rifts - DMH - Journey to Rifle Ridge

Post by Norgarth »

Brad sighs and looks Sin. "Even with medicine, humans generally don't heal that fast, kid. For that matter, we'd mildly, but painfully, burn our fingers scooping up hot food like that, though I'll admit Steve's food is delicious," he adds with a smile.

"Lemme guess, you're a dragon, probably a pretty young one. We're you the one I saw flying around the mountains?" he hooks a thumb towards where he'd seen the battle earlier.

Brad's hoping to keep things calm. Sin asked for food rather than demanding some (or trying to eat us), so he's not a ravaging beast. Brad always likes to learn more about new people and races. Not like we have a lot of firepower here if he does turn hostile.
The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live. - George Carlin
User avatar
Chaser1
Administrator
Posts: 1710
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:38 pm
Contact:

Re: Rifts - DMH - Journey to Rifle Ridge

Post by Chaser1 »

Brad sighs and looks Sin. "Even with medicine, humans generally don't heal that fast, kid. For that matter, we'd mildly, but painfully, burn our fingers scooping up hot food like that, though I'll admit Steve's food is delicious," he adds with a smile.

Steve frowns, "Hey no, this is mine!" as he shifts his weight away from Sin, like he's a jail inmate in the local cantina.

"Lemme guess, you're a dragon, probably a pretty young one. Were you the one I saw flying around the mountains?" he hooks a thumb towards where he'd seen the battle earlier. Brad's hoping to keep things calm. oO(Sin asked for food rather than demanding some... or trying to eat us, So he's not a ravaging beast. Brad always likes to learn more about new people and races. Not like we have a lot of firepower here if he does turn hostile)Oo

Sin quits chewing and looks around, seeing everyone's concerned expressions. "Uh... Yup... You've met more like me? I've only met one other like me. They called him Maggie. He didn't much care for me... and they were... what's the word..." he wipes the food off on his sweatpants, "Perilous? So I left. Been attacked non-stop in my true form since then..."

Maya, Johnny, Sam, Larry and his workers all gather up their things and walk towards the ATV, leaving Frank, Steve, Liz and Brad with Sin. Sin sighs, "Ah come on! I come in peace. Am I not welcome here? I thought looking like you guys would help people accept me more."

Steve shrugs, "Uh, I'm okay if you don't touch my things and don't eat me."
"I plan to live forever. Or die trying..." Vila - Blakes 7
lysanthra
Wanderer
Posts: 85
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2025 12:33 pm

Re: Rifts - DMH - Journey to Rifle Ridge

Post by lysanthra »

Lysanthra had her suspicions about Sin being a dragon but she didn't feel comfortable calling him out like that. He seems friendly enough but she's not trusting him not to turn on them if he feels like it. She knows enough to doubt his true intentions being told to them. He has no reason to be completely honest when he doesn't know them at all. Hopefully he means no harm, but that will be determined in time she's sure. Liz decides to take some time to ask Sin some questions out of curiosity. "Hey Sin, do you like your human form or your true form better? And what's it like being a dragon?" She's hoping to get him to talk and take the edge off of the group.
User avatar
Norgarth
Hero
Posts: 717
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:35 am
Location: Lost in thought

Re: Rifts - DMH - Journey to Rifle Ridge

Post by Norgarth »

Brad shrugs and says, "Met? No, but there are plenty of stories, most of which involve a dragon attacking towns or travellers. But I suppose a well behaved dragon in disguise wouldn't be noticed, so we only hear about the unpleasant ones. The stories also say Dragons are territorial, maybe that's why the other dragon attacked you."

Brad sighs before continuing,"I suppose it's a bit of a Catch 22. Ever since the Rifts came, humanity has been attacked by monsters, so people are afraid of large inhuman beings, but there's also plenty of stories and reports of shapeshifters appearing human until people lower their guard and then attacking, so people also get paranoid about shapeshifters. I've also read that humans have a psychological affect called 'The Uncanny Valley' where things that look almost human, but not quite right really disturbs people, more so than something that more obviously not human."

"Basically, a lot of humans are paranoid about D-Bees and creatures from the Rifts. Things like dragons are extra scary because they are so powerful and tough, there's not much most people can do to stop them if they are aggressive."

cocking his head in curiousity, Brad asks,"Are you going anywhere in particular or just wandering?"
The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live. - George Carlin
User avatar
Chaser1
Administrator
Posts: 1710
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:38 pm
Contact:

Re: Rifts - DMH - Journey to Rifle Ridge

Post by Chaser1 »

Lysanthra had her suspicions about Sin being a dragon but she didn't feel comfortable calling him out like that. He seems friendly enough but she's not trusting him not to turn on them if he feels like it. She knows enough to doubt his true intentions being told to them. He has no reason to be completely honest when he doesn't know them at all. Hopefully he means no harm, but that will be determined in time she's sure. Liz decides to take some time to ask Sin some questions out of curiosity. "Hey Sin, do you like your human form or your true form better? And what's it like being a dragon?" She's hoping to get him to talk and take the edge off of the group.

"Human form more," Sin smiles, "I make friends easier this way. It gets lonely out there. But my dragon form is safer," he considers her question, "I don't know. What's it like being a human?"

Brad shrugs and says, "Met? No, but there are plenty of stories, most of which involve a dragon attacking towns or travelers. But I suppose a well behaved dragon in disguise wouldn't be noticed, so we only hear about the unpleasant ones. The stories also say dragons are territorial, maybe that's why the other dragon attacked you."

Sin shrugs, "I had every right to be there as he did. He should have left." Sin's comment reinforces the ideology that dragons become incredibly petty around each other, thus, eventually escalating to mortal conflict.

Brad sighs before continuing, "I suppose it's a bit of a catch 22. Ever since the Rifts came, humanity has been attacked by monsters, so people are afraid of large inhuman beings, but there's also plenty of stories and reports of shapeshifters appearing human until people lower their guard and then attacking, so people also get paranoid about shapeshifters. I've also read that humans have a psychological affect called 'The Uncanny Valley' where things that look almost human, but not quite right really disturbs people, more so than something that more obviously not human."

"What's a catch 22?" Sin asks.

"Basically, a lot of humans are paranoid about D-Bees and creatures from the Rifts. Things like dragons are extra scary because they are so powerful and tough, there's not much most people can do to stop them if they are aggressive." Cocking his head in curiosity, Brad asks, "Are you going anywhere in particular or just wandering?"

"Wandering... It seems that I'm not welcome anywhere and friends are hard to find. I'm tired of bullets, lasers and missiles. Just because they don't kill me, they still hurt."

"I wish I could just shrug off a missile or bullets..." Steve laughs.

Frank dishes more potatoes au gratin onto Sin's plate, showing pride in his cooking as Sin continues shoveling the food in. Brad remembers that dragons really don't need food, they just enjoy the flavors.
"I plan to live forever. Or die trying..." Vila - Blakes 7