Rifts - EotC - Silvereno
Re: Rifts - EotC - Silvereno
Shep isn't sure why, but holding her like this feels natural, almost comfortable enough to let himself forget a few things. For a little while, he lets himself drift with the music and the warmth of her in his arms, not thinking about the years between them or the fact that she is a dee-bee, only that she is beautiful and here with him in this moment. Then his conscience catches up with him. She is far too young for a man his age, and however much life has taught him otherwise, some old, ugly part of him still remembers being raised to see all dee-bees as dangerous. He pulls back just a bit, ashamed of the thought almost as soon as it surfaces. Still, he doesn't pull away completely. What he told her earlier was true. He judges people by how they act, not by what runs through their blood. The world had taught him too many hard lessons to trust fear and prejudice just because other people liked to pass them off as wisdom.
He had cared for women before, years ago, but closeness had always come with a cost. Sooner or later, the nightmares always came back, and when they did, he would wake with a scream, a pounding heart, half-remembered terror, and the echo of something demonic laughing while he ran with nowhere to hide. The women he was with could only take so much of that before distance crept in, so he lets himself have this moment for what it is: warm, brief, and real, without letting it become anything more.
He lets himself have this moment. A moment in time that is just for him and Carry, but the past has different intentions.
Courtney Swan’s laughter. His long, meaningful walks with his fiancé, admiring the brilliant lines. The plays she loved. The way she’d lean into him during their favorite songs. Years of courting, just happy in each other's presence. Shep proposing to her. Then the sickness came. He volunteers to go for help. Her hand in his as she insisted on going with him, terrified he wouldn’t return.
And then the demon. The screaming. People dying. Her body pinned beneath its weight after knocking him to safety. Her voice breaking as she begged him to run. The sound of her being crushed as he did. The memories hit like a blade.
Shep freezes, breath gone, staring at Carry without seeing her at all. Carry’s arms circle him, pulling him back from the abyss. Tears shine in her eyes, “I saw it too…” she whispers, voice trembling, "You're heartbroken..." She holds him as he stands there, hollow and shaking, while the other dancers keep twirling; unaware, untouched, as his world quietly breaks around them.
He had cared for women before, years ago, but closeness had always come with a cost. Sooner or later, the nightmares always came back, and when they did, he would wake with a scream, a pounding heart, half-remembered terror, and the echo of something demonic laughing while he ran with nowhere to hide. The women he was with could only take so much of that before distance crept in, so he lets himself have this moment for what it is: warm, brief, and real, without letting it become anything more.
He lets himself have this moment. A moment in time that is just for him and Carry, but the past has different intentions.
Courtney Swan’s laughter. His long, meaningful walks with his fiancé, admiring the brilliant lines. The plays she loved. The way she’d lean into him during their favorite songs. Years of courting, just happy in each other's presence. Shep proposing to her. Then the sickness came. He volunteers to go for help. Her hand in his as she insisted on going with him, terrified he wouldn’t return.
And then the demon. The screaming. People dying. Her body pinned beneath its weight after knocking him to safety. Her voice breaking as she begged him to run. The sound of her being crushed as he did. The memories hit like a blade.
Shep freezes, breath gone, staring at Carry without seeing her at all. Carry’s arms circle him, pulling him back from the abyss. Tears shine in her eyes, “I saw it too…” she whispers, voice trembling, "You're heartbroken..." She holds him as he stands there, hollow and shaking, while the other dancers keep twirling; unaware, untouched, as his world quietly breaks around them.
"I plan to live forever. Or die trying..." Vila - Blakes 7
Re: Rifts - EotC - Silvereno
Shep doesn’t answer right away as he fights to get himself back under control. The images in his mind subside to flashes, like a slideshow playing for him alone. For a few seconds his breath comes ragged as he focuses on Carry, trying to ground himself in her. Finally, a little calmer, he almost lets out a snort at the comment that he is heartbroken. Just plain broken would be more accurate. He hasn’t had an attack like that for a few months.
Another thought twists through his trembling mind, an innocent phrase she might not even know she said. When he speaks, his voice is low and rough as he wages a mental war to keep the images away. "Yeah," he says. "You might say that." He takes a steadying breath before softly asking, "You said, 'I saw it too.' What did you mean by that?" He looks into her bright green eyes as if trying to see the answer before she gives it.
Another thought twists through his trembling mind, an innocent phrase she might not even know she said. When he speaks, his voice is low and rough as he wages a mental war to keep the images away. "Yeah," he says. "You might say that." He takes a steadying breath before softly asking, "You said, 'I saw it too.' What did you mean by that?" He looks into her bright green eyes as if trying to see the answer before she gives it.
Re: Rifts - EotC - Silvereno
Shep doesn’t answer right away as he fights to get himself back under control. The images in his mind subside to flashes, like a slideshow playing for him alone. For a few seconds his breath comes ragged as he focuses on Carry, trying to ground himself in her. Finally, a little calmer, he almost lets out a snort at the comment that he is heartbroken. Just plain broken would be more accurate. He hasn’t had an attack like that for a few months.
Another thought twists through his trembling mind, an innocent phrase she might not even know she said. When he speaks, his voice is low and rough as he wages a mental war to keep the images away. "Yeah," he says. "You might say that." He takes a steadying breath before softly asking, "You said, 'I saw it too.' What did you mean by that?" He looks into her bright green eyes as if trying to see the answer before she gives it.
Suddenly, Shep feels her before he fully hears her; like her fear brushes against his mind, trembling, frantic. Her lips never move, yet a rush of thought slams into him, raw and panicked, oO(Oh God… he’s going to hate me. How do I tell him? How do I explain that I can feel people—feel their emotions, their thoughts when they burn too bright? How do I tell him I’m not twenty… I’m fifty‑five? This always happens… they pull away, they look at me like I’m wrong, like I’m…)Oo
Her voice finally breaks free, fragile and shaking, “I… I sometimes catch glimpses of intense thoughts…” Her expression crumples into desperate worry, eyes wide and pleading, “Please… don’t think differently of me. I can’t stop it. It just happens, and I don’t know how to turn it off…” The dread rolling off her hits him like a cold wave, even though it isn’t his. It’s hers, bleeding into him, threading through his chest. And beneath that fear, he feels something else, something warm and startling. She's deeply and intensely drawn to him. He can feel how safe she thinks she is near him, how she already knows, without words, that he’s good, steady, kind. And Shep… he doesn’t understand how he’s feeling any of this. These emotions aren’t his, yet they cling to him like they belong.
OOC: Telepathy and Empathy unlocked.
Another thought twists through his trembling mind, an innocent phrase she might not even know she said. When he speaks, his voice is low and rough as he wages a mental war to keep the images away. "Yeah," he says. "You might say that." He takes a steadying breath before softly asking, "You said, 'I saw it too.' What did you mean by that?" He looks into her bright green eyes as if trying to see the answer before she gives it.
Suddenly, Shep feels her before he fully hears her; like her fear brushes against his mind, trembling, frantic. Her lips never move, yet a rush of thought slams into him, raw and panicked, oO(Oh God… he’s going to hate me. How do I tell him? How do I explain that I can feel people—feel their emotions, their thoughts when they burn too bright? How do I tell him I’m not twenty… I’m fifty‑five? This always happens… they pull away, they look at me like I’m wrong, like I’m…)Oo
Her voice finally breaks free, fragile and shaking, “I… I sometimes catch glimpses of intense thoughts…” Her expression crumples into desperate worry, eyes wide and pleading, “Please… don’t think differently of me. I can’t stop it. It just happens, and I don’t know how to turn it off…” The dread rolling off her hits him like a cold wave, even though it isn’t his. It’s hers, bleeding into him, threading through his chest. And beneath that fear, he feels something else, something warm and startling. She's deeply and intensely drawn to him. He can feel how safe she thinks she is near him, how she already knows, without words, that he’s good, steady, kind. And Shep… he doesn’t understand how he’s feeling any of this. These emotions aren’t his, yet they cling to him like they belong.
OOC: Telepathy and Empathy unlocked.
"I plan to live forever. Or die trying..." Vila - Blakes 7
Re: Rifts - EotC - Silvereno
For one frightening second, thought disappears before his mind regains focus, and then, oO( Shit! What the fuck was that?! )Oo The fear in his chest is not his. The warmth is not his. None of it is his, but it still hits like a physical blow. He goes rigid, breath catching, eyes locked on Carry as his mind scrambles to make sense of what just happened.
He drags in one slow breath, then another, forcing himself to separate panic from fact. "Carry," he says, voice tight, "I...I believe you." His jaw flexes once. "I felt that. Your fear...and something else." He swallows, still unsettled. "I’ve had instincts like this before, moments I couldn’t explain, but this is the first time I’ve heard anyone’s thoughts. What just happened?" He keeps hold of her, maybe to steady himself, maybe to comfort her. His hands tremble against her sides and his instincts scream to pull her closer and let her know it’s okay.
He drags in one slow breath, then another, forcing himself to separate panic from fact. "Carry," he says, voice tight, "I...I believe you." His jaw flexes once. "I felt that. Your fear...and something else." He swallows, still unsettled. "I’ve had instincts like this before, moments I couldn’t explain, but this is the first time I’ve heard anyone’s thoughts. What just happened?" He keeps hold of her, maybe to steady himself, maybe to comfort her. His hands tremble against her sides and his instincts scream to pull her closer and let her know it’s okay.
Re: Rifts - EotC - Silvereno
For one frightening second, thought disappears before his mind regains focus, and then, oO( Shit! What the fuck was that?! )Oo The fear in his chest is not his. The warmth is not his. None of it is his, but it still hits like a physical blow. He goes rigid, breath catching, eyes locked on Carry as his mind scrambles to make sense of what just happened.
He drags in one slow breath, then another, forcing himself to separate panic from fact. "Carry," he says, voice tight, "I...I believe you." His jaw flexes once. "I felt that. Your fear...and something else." He swallows, still unsettled. "I’ve had instincts like this before, moments I couldn’t explain, but this is the first time I’ve heard anyone’s thoughts. What just happened?" He keeps hold of her, maybe to steady himself, maybe to comfort her. His hands tremble against her sides and his instincts scream to pull her closer and let her know it’s okay.
Off to the side of the dance floor, Hatch calls out, "Woah! Shep's found a dancing partner! Way to go!" Yet, as Carry and Shep turn to look at him, Hatch's smile slowly fades at the sight of her. "Hey, I'll catch you later," and strolls back into the casino.
He drags in one slow breath, then another, forcing himself to separate panic from fact. "Carry," he says, voice tight, "I...I believe you." His jaw flexes once. "I felt that. Your fear...and something else." He swallows, still unsettled. "I’ve had instincts like this before, moments I couldn’t explain, but this is the first time I’ve heard anyone’s thoughts. What just happened?" He keeps hold of her, maybe to steady himself, maybe to comfort her. His hands tremble against her sides and his instincts scream to pull her closer and let her know it’s okay.
Off to the side of the dance floor, Hatch calls out, "Woah! Shep's found a dancing partner! Way to go!" Yet, as Carry and Shep turn to look at him, Hatch's smile slowly fades at the sight of her. "Hey, I'll catch you later," and strolls back into the casino.
"I plan to live forever. Or die trying..." Vila - Blakes 7
Re: Rifts - EotC - Silvereno
Shep scowls at the receding back, a flash of anger rising at the man’s apparent fear and distrust of d-bees. oO(Why can’t things ever just be simple?)Oo He looks back at Carry and asks, "Is there anywhere in this town where people won’t look at you... I guess us... like we’re some sort of three-headed monster?" The thought crosses his mind that if people knew about his newfound power, they would probably treat him like a d-bee too.
Re: Rifts - EotC - Silvereno
Shep scowls at the receding back, a flash of anger rising at the man’s apparent fear and distrust of d-bees. oO(Why can’t things ever just be simple?)Oo He looks back at Carry and asks, "Is there anywhere in this town where people won’t look at you... I guess us... like we’re some sort of three-headed monster?" The thought crosses his mind that if people knew about his newfound power, they would probably treat him like a d-bee too.
"Not really. I've gotten mostly used to it." She frowns towards the direction Hatch walked off, "I'm guessing that man is your friend? Does he know you have abilities? Be careful, he might kill you. He looks rough."
Another dancing couple seemed to have taken notice of the exchange. The man, a well groomed, younger gentlemen, leans in from his equally well-kept lady and whispers to Shep, "You're less likely to catch a disease from one of the madame's at 'The Lucky Lady'."
The woman with the man, without warning, spits a giant glob of mucus onto Carry's beautiful gown. The man begins laughing like it's the funniest prank ever. Carry looks at the spit, emotionless, and simply wipes it off with a handkerchief.
"Not really. I've gotten mostly used to it." She frowns towards the direction Hatch walked off, "I'm guessing that man is your friend? Does he know you have abilities? Be careful, he might kill you. He looks rough."
Another dancing couple seemed to have taken notice of the exchange. The man, a well groomed, younger gentlemen, leans in from his equally well-kept lady and whispers to Shep, "You're less likely to catch a disease from one of the madame's at 'The Lucky Lady'."
The woman with the man, without warning, spits a giant glob of mucus onto Carry's beautiful gown. The man begins laughing like it's the funniest prank ever. Carry looks at the spit, emotionless, and simply wipes it off with a handkerchief.
"I plan to live forever. Or die trying..." Vila - Blakes 7
Re: Rifts - EotC - Silvereno
With a scowl, Shep gives the man a warning look but says nothing. He steps in front of Carry, angling his body between her and the dancers, and says, "Let’s go somewhere else. I suddenly don’t feel like dancing." He gestures toward the door. "You lead."
As they walk, his thoughts drift toward Hatch. Once they’re out of earshot, he says quietly, "I may have to deal with Hatch later. I didn’t even know I had any special abilities until just now."
As they walk, his thoughts drift toward Hatch. Once they’re out of earshot, he says quietly, "I may have to deal with Hatch later. I didn’t even know I had any special abilities until just now."
Re: Rifts - EotC - Silvereno
With a scowl, Shep gives the man a warning look but says nothing. He steps in front of Carry, angling his body between her and the dancers, and says, "Let’s go somewhere else. I suddenly don’t feel like dancing." He gestures toward the door. "You lead."
Carry nods, expressionless, as though sealing a door inside herself.
They walk. The music fades behind them, replaced by the echo of Shep’s thoughts of Hatch, the strange surge of power he felt, the unsettling realization that something inside him had awakened.
Once they’re out of earshot, he murmurs, “I may have to deal with Hatch later. I didn’t even know I had any special abilities until just now.”
Carry’s reply is blunt, almost clinical. “You’re rather old to have not noticed before now.” Then, without warning, she takes his hand. “I know what sounds fun.” Her smile flickers like a match catching flame, and she pulls him faster, weaving through alleyways and hidden paths as though she’s following a map only she can see.
They emerge into a grove lit by lanterns and soft murmurs. A circle of chairs surrounds an elderly man with long gray hair; like Gandalf, a hero from a book that Ret and Shep used to read. The man is fragile yet luminous while holding a book as though it’s a sacred relic. He clears his throat and reads in a wavering, theatrical pitch:
“In Verona’s streets where tempers flare,
Two teens fall in love (after one quick stare).
Mercutio jokes, ‘Your crush? Good grief.’
While Juliet’s nurse wheezes like she’s out of beef.”
Carry leans into Shep, guiding him to empty seats near the back. “Book readings,” she whispers, squeezing his bicep. “When I am feeling alone, I come here.”
Only then does Shep truly see the crowd. It consists of mutants, dee‑bees, beings twisted or blessed by strange worlds. Fur, scales, extra limbs, alien silhouettes. One man shifts, revealing a third arm holding a leash attached to a pony‑sized lizard with a saddle. The creature turns its head toward Shep and Carry. He swears it nods before returning its attention to the reader.
Carry leans in again, her voice soft, “Romeo and Juliet. It’s an ancient story of conflict, love, and tragedy. Have you heard of it?”
Carry nods, expressionless, as though sealing a door inside herself.
They walk. The music fades behind them, replaced by the echo of Shep’s thoughts of Hatch, the strange surge of power he felt, the unsettling realization that something inside him had awakened.
Once they’re out of earshot, he murmurs, “I may have to deal with Hatch later. I didn’t even know I had any special abilities until just now.”
Carry’s reply is blunt, almost clinical. “You’re rather old to have not noticed before now.” Then, without warning, she takes his hand. “I know what sounds fun.” Her smile flickers like a match catching flame, and she pulls him faster, weaving through alleyways and hidden paths as though she’s following a map only she can see.
They emerge into a grove lit by lanterns and soft murmurs. A circle of chairs surrounds an elderly man with long gray hair; like Gandalf, a hero from a book that Ret and Shep used to read. The man is fragile yet luminous while holding a book as though it’s a sacred relic. He clears his throat and reads in a wavering, theatrical pitch:
“In Verona’s streets where tempers flare,
Two teens fall in love (after one quick stare).
Mercutio jokes, ‘Your crush? Good grief.’
While Juliet’s nurse wheezes like she’s out of beef.”
Carry leans into Shep, guiding him to empty seats near the back. “Book readings,” she whispers, squeezing his bicep. “When I am feeling alone, I come here.”
Only then does Shep truly see the crowd. It consists of mutants, dee‑bees, beings twisted or blessed by strange worlds. Fur, scales, extra limbs, alien silhouettes. One man shifts, revealing a third arm holding a leash attached to a pony‑sized lizard with a saddle. The creature turns its head toward Shep and Carry. He swears it nods before returning its attention to the reader.
Carry leans in again, her voice soft, “Romeo and Juliet. It’s an ancient story of conflict, love, and tragedy. Have you heard of it?”
"I plan to live forever. Or die trying..." Vila - Blakes 7
Re: Rifts - EotC - Silvereno
The beings around him are distracting enough that Shep has trouble concentrating on what Carry is saying. Fur, scales, extra limbs, unfamiliar shapes, and things he can’t easily classify pull at his attention from every direction.
"Yeah, I think I’ve heard of it. Shakespeare, right? Never read it myself. I always preferred getting lost in novels."
He tries to focus on Carry, but discomfort keeps tightening in his chest. He was raised to believe that creatures like these were dangerous, and too many experiences have taught him how easily that belief can turn into fear. The more rational part of him insists that a person should be judged by their actions, not their appearance or what they are. Surrounded by so many beings his upbringing taught him to distrust, though, holding on to that principle is harder than he wants to admit.
He focuses instead on the storyteller, trying to ignore the mental struggle and let the story wash over him. Almost immediately, other thoughts take its place. oO(How long have I had these talents? I don’t feel any different. Does this make me a d-bee too? Or just a monster?)Oo Another thought intrudes, one that has bothered him since the night of the walking dead. He almost killed Nova. Was that the monster inside him that did that?
"Yeah, I think I’ve heard of it. Shakespeare, right? Never read it myself. I always preferred getting lost in novels."
He tries to focus on Carry, but discomfort keeps tightening in his chest. He was raised to believe that creatures like these were dangerous, and too many experiences have taught him how easily that belief can turn into fear. The more rational part of him insists that a person should be judged by their actions, not their appearance or what they are. Surrounded by so many beings his upbringing taught him to distrust, though, holding on to that principle is harder than he wants to admit.
He focuses instead on the storyteller, trying to ignore the mental struggle and let the story wash over him. Almost immediately, other thoughts take its place. oO(How long have I had these talents? I don’t feel any different. Does this make me a d-bee too? Or just a monster?)Oo Another thought intrudes, one that has bothered him since the night of the walking dead. He almost killed Nova. Was that the monster inside him that did that?
